Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My nano is not beign recognized by Win XP

• Please log in to reply

jjgii

jjgii

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm hoping someone knows how to get my computer to recognize my nano again. I have been using it on this computer for 3 years. No problems until yesterday. I do not often add musinc to so simply let the car charge it while I am driving. Wanted to add some new tunes so launched iTunes and it said there was an update. I took the update to 7.5 and now this little wonder is very confused. I can hear the ding-ding of the device being found but it does not show for more that 0.5 seconds in device manager. Never shows in Windows explorer and never in iTunes. If I "Reset" the unit with Select and Menu Buttons that does fix it. If I reset with Select and Menu buttons then hit Play and select to get it in disk mode Device Manager finds it and so does Windows Explorer. I "Eject" the "removeable disk"(aka iPod) and I am back to square one. Anyone? Anything?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The iTunes update probably screwed it up. Uninstall iTunes completely, then grab an earlier version from here: http://oldapps.com/itunes.htm
(choose the version you had when it worked okay if it's listed).

Needless to say, you should decline any iTunes updates in future, unless you want to try an even later update at some point in the future which may not give you the same problem -- keep my link to the older versions just in case future updates screw up aswell. Better still, save the old version installer somewhere, just in case that web page is taken off-line.

Edited by pip22, 10 November 2007 - 07:14 AM.

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Try with different USB ports also with different computer
Also try this

1. To fix this problem, delete the UpperFilters registry value and the LowerFilters registry value. These values may cause access problems. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2 Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3 On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 (http://support.micro....com/kb/310426/ ) How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003

4 Locate and then click the LowerFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 (http://support.micro....com/kb/310426/ ) How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer and then check