Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

overclocking an Athlon 64 X2 4200+

• Please log in to reply

gamelord12

gamelord12

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
So Call of Duty 4 is officially the first game that I can't max out on my machine. It's very sad. Now, I don't have any money or desire to buy new parts for my system, but I have a liquid-cooled processor. The hottest it's ever run in the middle of intense gaming is a little less than 45 degrees Celsius. How would I go about overclocking it to a faster yet still very safe speed? I know I have to go somewhere in the BIOS, but the last thing I want to do is irreversible damage. Right now I'm running about 2.2 GHz (stock speed) and I'm told I should be able to make it to 3.2 GHz safely, but is that too much? I was considering around 2.6 or 2.8 GHz. Keep in mind that this is my only computer and I use it for more than gaming, so if something gets damaged, I lose my whole life in a sense.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What are your other specs? It is not likely that your CPU is what is holding you back.

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
3 GB DDR400 RAM (impossible to upgrade to faster RAM without doing a complete system overhaul), GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB...I think those are the only other specs that matter.

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
bump

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Maybe this would help:

http://www.geekstogo...ock-t11177.html