Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800 GT upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello,

I'm planning on getting an 8800GT but I see so many out there and I don't know which to get!! I've been looking at the superclocked edition and it seems to be really high up there with memory clock wise at 1.9ghz memory clock, my current memory clock is but half that! And could the 8800GT run games like call of duty 4: modern warfare and gears of war on full graphics, not on dx10, on dx9?

Thanks,

Snippy

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Personally, I like the factory OC cards, since they usually have a higher OC potential than the stock cards. (ie. They were chosen to be OCed because they OC the best.) However, there isn't too much of a difference between the versions.

On whether or not it could run the games in full detail... it depends on what resolution you use, but probably yes unless you use a very high resolution.

But it won't be able to play Gears of War. Not its fault, it's just that Gears of War doesn't work for most people. Check the Gears of War forum if you want to read the 25+ pages of error messages people have been getting. Wait until they release a patch before you buy Gears of War.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I already have gears of war and it works fine.And I use resolutions of 1280x1024 not too big at all so taht should not be a problem. Would the card run call of duty 4: modern warfare on full graphics dx9? I was also looking at this graphics card. It's Overclocked right out of the box! http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1826

Edited by Snippy, 10 November 2007 - 08:45 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I highly suggest getting XFX. They recently updated their warranty, it includes the following:
-Overclocking doesn't void your warranty
-Modding doesn't void your warranty
-If you sell your card, the warranty is transferable to the new owner, meaning it will have a higher resale value then other similar card.
-It's a lifetime warranty

Because of the above, there warranty policy now exceeds Evga's, so I'd hihgly suggest picking a XFX model up.
To answer your question, yes, this game with run COD4 quite well, it's performance is in between a GTS and GTX. If I were you though, I'd stick with your x1900XTX, thats still a pretty good card.
Edit: It's weird to see Canadian prices at par or lower then American prices :) Don't expect it to last long though.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 November 2007 - 03:53 PM.