Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Trouble

• Please log in to reply

Slow hand

Slow hand

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am starting a new thread here to specifically work out the problems I am encountering in my new build.

I have just put together my new system and I can't get anything out of the mobo on start up. all the LED's turn on, fans fire up and the LCD on the back of the mobo says "CPU Init" (still not sure what this means, nothing in the manual or on the Asus site regarding this message or any other message from the LCD). However, I get no lights on the keyboard(num lock/capslocks lights etc), the optical mouse is not getting power, and the monitor is not getting any sort of signal. I get no beeps from the mobo. I have disconnected everything from the mobo except the RAM and video card. I have tried resetting the CMOS with the same results. I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can provide. System specs are listed below, thanks again.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
Antec TPQ-850 ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply - Retail
2x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8002GK - Retail
APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there, first thing, usually with this type of problem, it is typically caused by memory, or the video adapter, however, I have seen similar problems occur from a bad power supply and bad motherboard. Not saying that the parts are non functional, but may be the case, make sure the memory is of the correct clock speed for support on your motherboard, disconnect/remove everything from the system that is not needed to get past the POST. For example, disconnect the hard disk, remove sound card, modem (if exists), LAN (if not built in), basically start from the basics necessary to perform the POST, so all you have hooked up to the mobo is basically the power supply, memory, CPU, and video card. If there is an onboard video, try that first with the addon card out of the system. If the system gets past its POST and successfully does a memory test, put the video card in, try again, etc. Basically add one device and test, until you find the problem. If with just the basic necessary in the system you can not get anything up, try reseating memory, placing the memory in a different slot etc. different stick of memory if possible, etc.

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have already disconnected everything except the RAM and GPU. but I will step down to just 1 stick of RAM now. After HOURS of aimless sifting through the maze that ASUS calls their website I have finally found a thread that deals with the CPU init issue. Apparently this is a very common issue, yet seems resolvable if you let the CMOS reset for 2-3 hrs (I am waiting that 2-3 hrs at the moment). Thanks for the advice, I will update my progress here.

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
1) Yes I did use stand offs when installing the mobo

Without me being there it'll be hard to help you, but I'm going to try my best.

Is this the first computer you have constructed?
>This is the first I have constructed w/o the assistance of a very tech savvy friend to help

The first thing I want you to do is disconnect your hard drives and RAM and see if your computer will boot into BIOS. This will rule these two devices out as potential problems.
>Will do as soon as my CMOS is reset

Have you placed the PCIe power cables into your graphics card?
>Yes

Have you placed the CPU power cables into the mobo near the CPU?
>If you mean heatsink fan power cable, yes

Have you installed the 24pin motherboard cable into the motherboard correctly.
>Yes, both power cables to the mobo are installed

If your computer doesn't successfully boot into BIOS when you have removed the hard drives and memory and you have double/triple checked that all power cables are securly connected I suggest you unplug everything and plug it back in, this time a little firmer to be sure everything has a proper connection.

If the above doesn't work successfully answer the questions below.
Next do you have a P4, Pentium D or spare core2duo processor on hand? Do you know of anyone that does if you don't?
>Unfortunately, No, I have just moved to a different state where my few friends do not have intel processors

Do you have a spare GPU with a PCI or PCIe interface on hand? If not do you know of someone who might?
>i could come up with a pci card

Is there anything that you think you might have done wrong? Anything that you are unsure about (such as a possible power connector not being used), just let me know.
>the only other issue I can think of is incompatible RAM. from reading various websites/posts, this board has a short list of acceptable RAM, but other stuff will work if you can boot into bios and adjust the voltage settings, however, for the life of me I can't find the list of approved RAM everyone refers to.(maybe I'm an idiot?) im using 1gb sticks of OCZ 800 2.1v

I can't think of anything else atm, but I do appreciate the help immensely and I will keep this post updated as anything develops

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Depending on your motherboard, there should be a 4 or 8 pin cable that must be placed into the motherboard near the CPU, on the 680i chipset I'm pretty sure that it requires a 8pin cable, do not confuse this with it's PCIe 8pin cable counter part.

The RAM will work in your computer, combatibility charts are normally a list of RAM that can simply be plug and play. You RAM will require you to adjust the voltages on your motherboard. Do you know how to entire BIOS and if so do you know how to adjust the voltages of your memory? If not please let me know.
James

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Depending on your motherboard, there should be a 4 or 8 pin cable that must be placed into the motherboard near the CPU, on the 680i chipset I'm pretty sure that it requires a 8pin cable, do not confuse this with it's PCIe 8pin cable counter part.

The RAM will work in your computer, combatibility charts are normally a list of RAM that can simply be plug and play. You RAM will require you to adjust the voltages on your motherboard. Do you know how to entire BIOS and if so do you know how to adjust the voltages of your memory? If not please let me know.
James

Yes I have put that power cable in. Yes I do know how to get into BIOS (del key) but it has been a while since I did anything in a BIOS set up (~3yrs) I don't think I have ever adjusted voltages.

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hurray!!! after a couple CMOS resets, lots of forum trolling, and a brief rain dance I finally got into my BIOS w/ GPU and 1 stick of RAM in. Now, I am trying to set my memory voltage from 1.9v to 2.1v. The only options for memory voltage are "1.90v" and "ignored". Other forums I have read make it sound as if you can set the voltage to exactly what your RAM voltage is i.e. "set memory voltage to whatever your ram is rated for - mines is 2.2V"...if i set it to"ignored" will it automatically read whatever my RAM needs and supply that? or am I missing something? if I choose "ignored" will i be able to boot again?...It has been so finicky I don't want to lose what progress I have made.

update:
I set the Memory voltage to "ignored" and put in my other stick, everything booted OK. I then put in all my SATA connectors and it is still booting alright.

Edited by Slow hand, 10 November 2007 - 02:02 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Hurray!!! after a couple CMOS resets, lots of forum trolling, and a brief rain dance I finally got into my BIOS w/ GPU and 1 stick of RAM in. Now, I am trying to set my memory voltage from 1.9v to 2.1v. The only options for memory voltage are "1.90v" and "ignored". Other forums I have read make it sound as if you can set the voltage to exactly what your RAM voltage is i.e. "set memory voltage to whatever your ram is rated for - mines is 2.2V"...if i set it to"ignored" will it automatically read whatever my RAM needs and supply that? or am I missing something? if I choose "ignored" will i be able to boot again?...It has been so finicky I don't want to lose what progress I have made.

update:
I set the Memory voltage to "ignored" and put in my other stick, everything booted OK. I then put in all my SATA connectors and it is still booting alright.

Glade to see you got it up and running.
This doesn't sound right, though I don't own a 680i board.
http://www.xbitlabs....-extreme_7.html
Do you know where to find the overvoltage function in your BIOS, as you see in the page mentioned above?
You want to adjust the memory voltage to 2.1V, your RAM has a warrenty that will not be voided till you exceed 2.2V. Unless you plan on doing a hard overclock on your RAM, 2.1V will be more then stable, as this is the rated voltage for your memory.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 November 2007 - 03:51 PM.

Slow hand

Slow hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was apparently looking at the wrong BIOS section. But that link halped alot, and I was able to find the right section and reset my memory voltage. Thanks again!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, let me know if you encounter any more problems.
James