Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

An annoying problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ive decided it would be easier to start a new thread with all my info
Hi i need help to fix a problem with my computer

I have a
hp 2.8ghz intel pentium 4
1 gig ram
120 gig harddrive
nvidia geforce 7600gs agp graphics card
and am running Windows Xp
have latest nvidia driver
have latest direct x
my memory settings are inital size 1534 and max size 3000

and my power supply says this on the side of it
Enlight GPS 300 CN -101 A
p/n 83043c9a2
Ac input 115v~10a
Frequency 50-60hz
peak 350w
rated 300w

f5v +3.3V +12v1 +12v2 -12v +5vsb
20a 20L 8A 14a 0.8a 2a
120W max 96W 168W 9.6w 10w

(some of the dc output numbers might be a little different) bad hand writing:P

my problem is this i cannot get most games to work i can play the old enemy territory ,warcraft 3 ,quake 1 2 3 4,
how ever i cannot get alot of newer games to work like quakewars oblivion BF2 Bf2142 etc etc

what the computer does when i try to load 1 of the games is 1 of 4 things it

1 Most commonly it goes to load shows the flash screen ie Enemy Territory quake wars and some cool graphics then propares to load then goes to a black screen then closes

2 or sometimes it goes to load get to the same part as above comes up with the My favourite windows msg etqw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close sorry for the inconvience then if i ask for details it gives me
Appname-etqw.exe appver-1.0.10745.32242 modver-5.3.2600.2180 offset-000168be modname-dinput8.dll then a whole lot of technical mombojumble and i cannot copy and paste it for u guys for some reason is there another way i can get it for u?

3 this happens rarely it comes up with The instruction at "0x6e26324" refrenced memory at "0x006d2870". the memory could not be "written"
4 THIS HAPPENS VERY VERY VERY etc etc .... rarely it works and is fine till i close it and try to start it again

What i have tried i have deleted video drivers reinstalled them tryed older versions
have done the same with direct X
have Formatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything
have cleared and created a new swap file
have defraged the drive ran chkdsk ran disk cleanup
i have 60 gig or so free atm so space is not a problem
have tried running the games in compatability mode

Edited by anitanewname, 09 November 2007 - 10:35 PM.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Are you sure your PC has a powerful enough graphics card as per the specs on the game instructions? I'm talking not just enough video RAM but also a card that has all the special features the game requires? also, a 300W PSU seems a bit on the low side even for a standard machine, let alone one which has to be able to run the latest games.

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Have a look at these requirements for BF2142

In order to play the game at the recommended resolution, detail and performance levels, your computer should match or exceed the following specifications:
  • Operating system: Windows XP with latest service pack installed
  • DirectX 9.0c February 2006 edition (included)
  • CPU: Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0 GHz or equivalent
  • RAM: 1.5GB
  • Video Card: 256MB DirectX compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
  • Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi series from Creative Labs
  • Hard Drive space: 2.2GB of space is required to install the game
  • Internet connection: 512Kbit Cable/DSL connection
Remember these are recommended for normal gameplay and this is not high resolution. That 300W PSU is also as mentioned previously a bit of a low wattage. The PC just isn't up to what you putting it through. I have 1GB Ram with a 512mb 6800XT, 3.0Ghz pc and i don't even play BF2142 because my machine battles.