Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's this MSXML 4.0? What does MSXML do to my computer?

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
What's this MSXML 4.0?

What does MSXML do to my computer?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's used to transform XML data and contains numerous tools, classes, methods, libraries, etc for working with XML data. Some websites store data displayed on the site in XML and then transform it to some format (HTML) to display on the webpage. Such web pages require you have msxml installed for the page to function and display correctly. There's a longer explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSXML , but any web-page you find on the subject will tend to be rather "techie" in content. Suffice to say you need msxml in one version or another, and it's a standard part of a Windows installation. It's on every Windows PC so don't worry about it, just be sure to download express security updates regularly from Microsoft Update as some of them are specifically for msxml.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Is it ok to uninstall this sir?

altonius

altonius

• Pip
  • 2 posts

What's this MSXML 4.0?

What does MSXML do to my computer?

MSXML 4.0 is an additional piece of software used by other software.  It is separate from the versions of MSXML included with your Windows Operating system.

Microsoft no longer support this software and leaving it on your computer may be a security risk - I have written a blog post titled "And it's official, MSXML 4.0 SP3 is out of support!", which discusses MSXML 4.0 being end-of-life and uninstalling it if you don't need it.  Like most software, especially if it's plugged into a browser like MSXML 4.0 is, if you're not using it uninstall it.

altonius

altonius

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Is it ok to uninstall this sir?

It is normally ok to uninstall this, I haven't found any applications that rely on this except an old version of Age of Empires (a strategy game).  I have written a blog post on Uninstalling MSXML 4.0 if you need assistance.