Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble installing iTunes

• Please log in to reply

ash_j

ash_j

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My brother in laws hard drive recently crashed and he has since had new one with a partitioned drive put in.

He was trying to re-install all his old programs onto the new drive but cannot get itunes to work. When he downloads the installer it gets towards then end then comes up with an error saying some files are missing and to re-install itunes.

He had a trial version of panda security running, but it was set to allow itunes as was windows firewall - so nothing should be blocking it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ash.

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello, does the errors received say what files are missing? To see if it helps you could try turning off the windows firewall and panda security then try the installation again. Also is it an XP or Vista machine? If it is Vista, the security "features" might be causing some problems, or having the vista UAC disabled may also cause problems. If it is XP, I would try just turning off the windows firewall and panda security for the installation to see if that makes any difference.

ash_j

ash_j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It doesnt mention what the files are, just says some are missing.

He is running XP at the moment, but i have suspicionc it isnt a gernuine copy of XP. Would that prevent it from installing? I've disabled the firewalls and security but still have no joy.

Thanks.

Ash.

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

It doesnt mention what the files are, just says some are missing.

He is running XP at the moment, but i have suspicionc it isnt a gernuine copy of XP. Would that prevent it from installing? I've disabled the firewalls and security but still have no joy.

Thanks.

Ash.

Hi Ash, sorry about my delay, I was out of town most of the weekend...anyway, I did find some promising info about what might be the cause of your error. It seems that it might be caused by something with quicktime. If it has quicktime 7.3 install I believe it is, it will cause the error to occur with itunes. The fix that should correct it, recommend using an older version of itunes, 7.4 I believe it is, after uninstalling both itunes and quicktime if installed. I do not know if you can download 7.4 from apple anymore, but searching google came up with: http://filehippo.com...ad_itunes/?3150 for a 7.4 itunes download. itunes 7.4 should also install quicktime as well.

The non genuine XP should not prevent the itunes install from working, if it were micsoft software, I would say that could be the case, however, I am doubtful since it is not from Microsoft.

Let me know if that helps the problem or not.