Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games keep crashing with multi-coloured overlap

• Please log in to reply

hellodave123

hellodave123

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, I'm encountering a problem whilst playing games on the comp. Whilst playing GTR 2 and Call of Duty 4 modern warefare, within 10-20 minutes it crashes. The screen freezes and a large number of small multi coloured tall boxes and squiggles seem to overlap and cover the screen, whilst the frozen game screen still sits behind. The only option is to restart the computer, and needless to say its very annoying.

I'm running windows XP on media edition version. I'm not entirely sure what this means in relation to the computer but I've been told mention my computer uses a 'Nvidia 7600 GT' something. Any thoughts on why this problems occurs? Thank you.

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello, first thing I would try is be sure that you have the latest drivers for your video adapter. If you go to www.nvidia.com you will be able to browse to get the drivers for the video card you had mentioned.

If that does not fix the problem, you may want to try reinstalling/updating directx to the latest available version, which can be downloaded from www.microsoft.com. Hope that helps.

hellodave123

hellodave123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think the drivers and direct X are updated to their latest versions already. Thanks for the suggestion though Dave Kruger.

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
That may be the case, however, sometimes drivers can become corrupt. If the drivers are indeed corrupt, reinstalling them will fix the corruption, or should. After reinstalling, just to see if it helps the problem to be resolved at all. I did not word my last post very well, but reinstalling the latest drivers and directx would be the first step I would take. Sorry about the delay.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It might be that the processor on the graphic card is overheating. Please open the box and see if the fan is spinning freely and if the heatsink is free from dust. Use this occasion to give your computer a cleanup. The best way is to use a can of compressed gas to blow the parts clean. These cans can be bought at computers supply shops.