Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Drive

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hi. So I went to my computer today and was plugging my printer into the USB drive. Suddenly, when I was plugging it in, my computer just turned off. So I thought that was weird so I checked it out. Usually when I see my USB Drive, it looks like a rectangle with a line inside of it. The line is missing. It's definately broken. Now I am on a laptop that only has this one USB drive. This is going to be a huge problem when It comes to hooking my printer/iPod up. So it's broken, but can I go anywhere from here? Is there anyway I could possibly go to Best Buy or something with my laptop and buy a new USB drive (possibly 2.0 high speed this time?) and have them install it?

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!

Advertisements

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'm sure that you could go to a computer store of some sort and they will install it for you. You could also get an external USB hub that turns your one USB port into 4. However, that will make you have a small thing to bring with your laptop. But if your only using it with your printer (which i'm sure is stationary) then you wouldn't have to bring the hub with you. Other then those two i think those are your only options.

Edited by Thexgene14, 17 April 2005 - 08:12 PM.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
how could I get an external USB Hub is the only one that I have is broken?

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
srry i assumed that u had two USB ports most laptops have two srry for the misunderstanding. When you said "Now I am on a laptop that only has one USB drive." i though u ment u had one left srry.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
haha. It's ok, I JUST WANT MY USB HUB BACK!!

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I have another question. So I'm probably going to go to my local pc store, Milwaukee PC. Think that they could replace the USB I currently have and maybe replace it with a better high speed USB?

Also, do you think that they could install two seperate USB's though it only came with one?

Also, how much do you think an operation like this one would cost?

Thanks for your help.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i cant say ive seen 1 or anything but im sure u must be able to get laptop pci usb, if not may have to convert a differant port into usb or something.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Can anyone else answer these questions?

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
So I'm probably going to go to my local pc store, Milwaukee PC. Think that they could replace the USB I currently have and maybe replace it with a better high speed USB?

Also, do you think that they could install two seperate USB's though it only came with one?

Also, how much do you think an operation like this one would cost?

Thanks for your help.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright, what I think I'm gonna do is buy a 2 port USB 2.0 PCMCIA 32bit cardbus, which will give me 2 2.0 usb ports. Is this a good idea?