Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Dimension 4700/Windows XP Continuously Crashing

• Please log in to reply

CDC1

CDC1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, running Windows XP that constantly crashes. It just dies in the middle of doing ANYTHING. It causes the screen to go black and it sounds like it whirs down, then the power light turns yellow and blinks.

To restart it, I have to depress the power button for about 30 seconds until it actually shuts down. Then I have to wait a while (a few minutes) before I can press the power button to get it to restart. If I try ot turn on the power too soon, it just yellow blinks at me.

Then it's a crapshoot for how long it stays on.

I've added no new hardware or software and I get no error messages.

Any ideas as to what's going on and/or how to fix it?

Thanks,
CDC

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hi CDC,

Great description of your issue. Based on this description, my initial thought was an overheating issue. It appears this guess has some grounds though. A quick search for "dimension 4700 overheat" brings up a slough of results dealing with this issue. It appears Dell installed a CPU fan backwards and so it sucks air into the case, rather than blowing it out.

Though it is a fairly simple task for anyone with experience upgrading or modifying their PC to re-orient the case fan, if you are less inclined to go into the case and start changing things around then you should contact Dell Technical Support. An overheating PC is unsafe and should be repaired or replaced.

Aside from this, unfortunately there may not be much you can do except for limiting your system usage.

Check out the following for some interesting information on Dell Dimension 4700's:
http://www.ripoffrep...pOff0192105.htm

Regards,

Ax

CDC1

CDC1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Ax!
The more I've read, it certainly seems like the problem. Of course, the service warranty has expired ... what luck.

It looks like I'm going in on my own, screwing it up and then paying someone to fix my goofs. Or maybe I'll just pay someone from the start, eh?

Thanks again!
CDC

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Taking it to a shop may be your best bet, you wouldn't want to break something that isn't broke to begin with. :) Sounds like you have your approach planned out, glad to be of assistance.

Ax