Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

checkdisk on startup?

• Please log in to reply

PaperAssassin

PaperAssassin

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi everyone, you know how sometimes during boot-up, a blue screen pops up and checkdisk is automatically run ("harddrive needs to be checked for consistency...etc.")? Well, all of a sudden this has been happening *everytime* I bootup. Is this something I should be worried about ie. is this a early sign that my harddrive is starting to die out? If not, how can I stop checkdisk from running every single time? Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have any data you value on the hard drive you need to run diagnostics on it. You should be able to get them from the maker of the hard drive or from the machine manufacturer.

Have you let it run to completion and looked at the report? Also look in the Event Logs and see if there are any reports of hdd errors there. Failure to take action at this time could result in the loss of all your data, which you should back up to an external drive or other means in case you have to reinstall..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi PaperAssassin...

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query c: and press "Enter".

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

To close the command session, type exit and press "Enter"

wannabe1

PaperAssassin

PaperAssassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Wannabe, I ran fsutil and c: (the boot drive) is not dirty. However, d: IS dirty. How would I "clean" it?