Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't install xp SP2

• Please log in to reply

jschepers

jschepers

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have been having problems installing software, getting registry permission problems. This has been happening with Itunes & Quicktime, then with driver and software package for a new printer/scanner machine. I tried resetting permissions in the registry but no help there. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SP 2 and I get an SP2 setup error and it backs all the way out. I tried reinstalling XP ( I have a disk with XP & SP 1 on it) that installed fine but I get the same with sP2 install. It begins when trying to backup registry values.

Any help???

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try starting in 'safe mode' and selecting the Windows 'Administrator' account from the log-in screen, then install SP2.

jschepers

jschepers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this with the same result. I have also trried to reset the registry key permikssions with secedit but get the same result when trying to install SP2

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I may be totally off track here, but are you running a valid version of Windows?

jschepers

jschepers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, valid version of XP Professional is running. BTW, I cannot get Windows Update to run either. It will not update to the latest version.