Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOP USB PORT!

• Please log in to reply

weerydo

weerydo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. What happend is i had a bluetooth dongle plugged into the back of the laptop, and i dropped it (the dongle hitting the floor first). Now i managed to remove all of the bluetooth dongle, however the USB port of the laptop is now completely broken. The plastic bit is broken and is inside the computer as are the metal prongs(it is all now inside the laptop). Also as i tilt the laptop back and forth i can hear something moving inside. However the laptop still works - all but this one usb port. How much would it likely cost to have this USB port fixed by a reputable company (like PCWORLD) ?
thanks in advance

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello weerydo,

You'd probably want to take that up with the actual company who will be charging you for the repair. Here's a company you can ship your laptop to, they charge $99:
99 dollar laptop USB port repair by the notebook experts -- Comprehensive Computing

I'm not recommending, as I've never done business with them, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them.

Regards,

Ax

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Is your system still under warranty? Call Dell! They will, if you are still under warranty, dispatch a technician to your house to replace the motherboard, or have you send it in to have the motherboard replaced. If you use a third-party, Dell may void your system warranty.

Edited by The Admiral, 15 November 2007 - 10:51 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Good call Admiral, that slipped my thought process!

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I agree with the Admiral-- Dell will send you a shipping box within two days and have the unit back to you posthaste.

You will want to back up all your data and turn off any passwords for the Administrator so they can troubleshoot.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
haha I work for Dell.... it's always best to call in. Since a part was broken because of an accident (ps, say your cat knocked it off of the desk), we will allow you the option of sending it in and getting either the motherboard or the entire system replaced (depending on your level of warranty.)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Cool, yeah taking it to Dell if it is under warranty is the best bet. Haha, the cat knocked it off the desk, you guys get that a lot?

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

haha I work for Dell...

Sorry to hear that, dude... I pray for your sanity. Posted Image

Edited by Dngrsone, 17 November 2007 - 07:09 AM.

elkatbal

elkatbal

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have that similar problem and do no have a Dell or any warranty.

battery port got pushed into the laptop because my dog (ha!) knocked it off the table and it landed smack on the battery adapter, pushing the port into the system.

fortunately I can still use it, it's just cracked and pushed in. I have to wiggle the adapter to the side but it holds a charge, stays plugged in and works fine. I would just really love to get it fixed but was hoping it wouldn't be a hundred bucks! any other options?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello elkatbal,

You'll want to start a new topic with your issue if you are going to receive any attention. The thread that you replied to is over three months old. You'll have a much better chance of getting your issue resolved if you start your own topic.

Regards,

Ax