Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

steve farmery

steve farmery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi Guys n Gals,

Strange one this with my new pc, when I reboot windows it says "Disk boot Failure insert system disk etc" to get it to boot all I do is pop in the XP cdrom, boot from that and select system repair, it asks me for the admin password which i dont enter as there isnt one, it goes to C:\Windows and I do nothing else except type exit and hey presto it boots again normally until I shut down, whereby I have to do the CDROM thing again.

What exactly is happening here?

Could a virus do this?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Two possibe causes you can follow up:

Go into the BIOS settings and make sure the "first boot device" is set to 'IDE0'.

It has been known even on new systems that the little button battery (the CMOS backup battery) is faulty. Try fitting a new one.
It sits on the motherboard under a metal clip.

Edited by pip22, 11 November 2007 - 05:12 AM.

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Many Thanks Pipi22, I sussed it. The problem was that I was booting my new pc with my old HD in a USB box still connected with most but not all of the old operating system on it. Regardless of the fact that my bios said to boot from the internal disk it was trying to boot from the USB drive, i could see the access LED flashing, I turned it off, rebooted and straight into Win XP no problem. Coincidently I also noticed that if I tried to boot with my USB Memory stick in it halts the boot process too. This in fact gave me the clue to look at my old HD in the USB box.

In any event many thanks for the, as usual, quality and fast help.

Nuther donation to make here methinks.