Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Shutdown Issue ...

• Please log in to reply

Logitek

Logitek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
hy there all :) it's been a while since my last post but that's good ... because I didn't have any PC problems anymore ...but now I do :)

The problem is when I try to shut down my PC ... it simply hangs on " Windows Is Shutting Down " message .... and the HDD looks like it's working really REALLY hard ( the red led stays on forever ) ... I can only shut it down by pressing the power button for 4 seconds or so ... and that is not a good option :|

I don't have malware,adware,spyware or any known viruses or worms ... just formated my PC 2 days ago so ....

What seems to be the problem ?

Also what anti-spyware/malware remover tools are you using ? ( I've been using Spybot SD for 2 years now but now ... from version 1.5 it's totall crap -> frequently gets stuck, uses 100% CPU when doing nothing and does not work anymore if you "End Task" it )

Edited by Logitek, 11 November 2007 - 05:28 AM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Here is the Elder Geek's "Shutdown Issues" article. It's rather long, read on through it and follow some of the pertinent links for more info.
http://www.theelderg...ssues_in_xp.htm

Many have found good results with the "User profile hive cleanup service:"
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
This does add a Service to your system. It should default to Automatic and started.

If you have added new hardware of any type to your system, this may be part of the problem. Device Manager may offer clues about problematic drivers, and the Event Log may also contain relevant information.

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well, first of all thanks for the reply :)

I checked out the long Elder Geek's "Shutdown Issues" article and found no hope for me there ( I read almost the whole thing ) :)

Also Microsoft's user profile hive cleanup service didn't help at all ( it's about logging in/out problems, not shut down issues )

I really thought that the Hive Clean Up will solve the problem for me ... but no It did not :)

I kinda need help with this one ... :| :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
So you mean to say that the problem occurs when you simply log off your account whether or not you are powering down?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to have a look at this link, in particular the paragraph "SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT’S REAL SLOW"

Edited by The Skeptic, 11 November 2007 - 03:06 PM.

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I DID IT !!! :)

I finally found out how to shut down my PC :) and thanks to you Skeptic
I read the article concerning " SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT’S REAL SLOW " and found my solution here :

# Correspondent Graeme J.W. Smith reported a more obscure cause of slow shutdown: In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough that users may think that shutdown has hung. To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find “Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile.”

I simply disabled the "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" :)
Also I disabled more useless programs that ran on startup etc etc

Finally, I did a spyware scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and it turned out that I had about 20 Spyware/Malware problems and traces :)

Cleaned them Up and now everything is back to normal :)

Thanks again guys :) ( especially you Skeptic ;) )

Cya :):)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.