Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless encryption key length

• Please log in to reply

lan123

lan123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a notebook computer that stopped connecting to my wireless network. When I try to go into the wireless network properties and enter the WEP key, it will not let me enter the entire 128-bit key. I haven't changed anything on the main router (D-Link) in quite some time. The laptop uses a LAN-Express router. The wireless network properties box doesn't give me any way to specify the key length. It only has a checkbox for Data encryption (WEP enabled) and Network Authentification (Shared mode). It then has the box for entering the key and the confirmed key. The box will only allow me to enter 23 characters. I don't remember this being an issue before, but it has been so long since I set up this computer, I really don't remember. Any ideas?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
With 128 bit encription you to insert only 13 ASCII characters. ith 64 bit you need 5 characters.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

With 128 bit encription you to insert only 13 ASCII characters. ith 64 bit you need 5 characters.

That is incorrect.

A 128-bit WEP key is almost always entered by users as a string of 26 Hexadecimal (Hex) characters (0-9 and A-F).

As for a solution to your problem, the box might only show 23 characters, but they may be scrolling over as you enter more. Of course, this is impossible to notice, since all of the characters are either shown as dots or asterisks as you enter them. Just try entering the whole key without worrying about the size of the box, and see if it works.

Edited by stettybet0, 16 November 2007 - 01:57 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
ASCII and hexadecimal are not the same. You can enter either 5 ASCII or 10 HEX charachter for 64 bit and 13 ASCII or 26 HEX for 128 bit.

Edited by The Skeptic, 16 November 2007 - 02:11 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I never said they were the same, I just said that 26 hex characters are almost always used, and I'm willing to bet that it is what the OP uses.