Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice on power supply and new system

• Please log in to reply

r55741

r55741

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
HI

I Am about to purchase this and I was wondering if my old antec true 430 ( max output 410) would be able to power this up

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 2.55 $212
CPU Cooler Cooler Master HyperTX 2 $27
Motherboard Asus P5K $137
RAM Wintec Ampo DDR2 PC2-6400 - 2GB $81
Graphics GeForce 8800 GT 512MB $300
Hard Drive Seagate 500GB SATAII $80
Power supply antec true 430
DVD-RW Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA $35

I would also like OC in the future

Also would it be a good idea to switch to windows vista to take care of HD content in the future? I like xp but wont games in the future like in the next 3 years work better in vista?

if i need a new power supply what would be a good option?

Thanks A lot for the help I really apreciate it :)

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

HI

I Am about to purchase this and I was wondering if my old antec true 430 ( max output 410) would be able to power this up

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 2.55 $212
CPU Cooler Cooler Master HyperTX 2 $27
Motherboard Asus P5K $137
RAM Wintec Ampo DDR2 PC2-6400 - 2GB $81
Graphics GeForce 8800 GT 512MB $300
Hard Drive Seagate 500GB SATAII $80
Power supply antec true 430
DVD-RW Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA $35

I would also like OC in the future

Also would it be a good idea to switch to windows vista to take care of HD content in the future? I like xp but wont games in the future like in the next 3 years work better in vista?

if i need a new power supply what would be a good option?

Thanks A lot for the help I really apreciate it :)

That system looks pretty good but if you want to be doing alittle overclocking I would change the memory brand to something like Gskill, Mushkin, A-Data, GEIL or patriot and you will still be in the same price range because all of those brands have from low end to high end ram and yes you can find Gskill 2gb for $55 aswell.

Wintec memory is solid if you run it at stock speeds but you wont get much overclocking from them.

I would definitely go ahead and get a better powersupply because that 430 would be pushing it. Yeah it would probably be okay but if you get into overclocking at all then NO. So yeah its a very good idea just to buy a new powersupply with 600ish to 700ish watts for future upgrades on the machine. Id go with something like 700w so you will have the power you need later on and you can even transfer that over to your next build after a few years or so.

The 8800gt will fall down in price soon because they are new the shops drove the prices up..

Look at the OCZ GameXStream 700W powersupply you can get it the cheapest at www.clubit.com for $92 which is cheaper than all the other places.. FOR that price that is the best deal on a powersupply with 700w and good 12volt rails pretty much.

http://www.clubit.co...itemno=A6276522

Edited by jrm20, 11 November 2007 - 01:41 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I highly recommend Vista Home Premium. It is 5x better then XP and to play DirectX 10 games you need Vista.

Also have you given any thoughts about a Quad core processor? The new DirectX 10 games that are coming out are really utilizing the Quad cores better and benefit from them a lot.

Edit: any of these Antec power supplies will work good: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371010
I have True Power Trio and love it. The other two are just a little bit fancier.

Edited by jackflash1991, 11 November 2007 - 02:19 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No, under load the GPU consumes over 200W alone. Factor in overclocking and your existing hardware, you'd be very close to exceeding spec.
What's your budget?
James

Edit: :) Forgot to post this and had it sitting here in a post box for an hour not being posted, I got beat, wonder why.
While that OCZ PSU is fairly good, you need to look at the fine print, it can only ouptut a maximum of 50A over the 12V rails, meaning it wouldn`t be enough to run a high end SLI rig, though for a single card configuration, you cannot beat it`s price.
The OCZ powsupply that jrm meantioned is better then then those Antec power supplies, especially for the price.
Games will not utilize quad cores for another year, we only have about 5 games that will utilize 2 cores, nevermind 4.

Edited by james_8970, 11 November 2007 - 02:27 PM.

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

That system looks pretty good but if you want to be doing alittle overclocking I would change the memory brand to something like Gskill, Mushkin, A-Data, GEIL or patriot and you will still be in the same price range because all of those brands have from low end to high end ram and yes you can find Gskill 2gb for $55 aswell.

Wintec memory is solid if you run it at stock speeds but you wont get much overclocking from them.

I would definitely go ahead and get a better powersupply because that 430 would be pushing it. Yeah it would probably be okay but if you get into overclocking at all then NO. So yeah its a very good idea just to buy a new powersupply with 600ish to 700ish watts for future upgrades on the machine. Id go with something like 700w so you will have the power you need later on and you can even transfer that over to your next build after a few years or so.

The 8800gt will fall down in price soon because they are new the shops drove the prices up..

Look at the OCZ GameXStream 700W powersupply you can get it the cheapest at www.clubit.com for $92 which is cheaper than all the other places.. FOR that price that is the best deal on a powersupply with 700w and good 12volt rails pretty much.

http://www.clubit.co...itemno=A6276522

jrm20 Thanks I will look into the gskill, The reason I went with wintek is because I picked it up at a DIY article at toms hardware at toms hardware But if the gkill does better i Will go with that one

edit: The gskill goes for 80 bucks cheapest i can find (new egg) :)

about the PSU I wanted a more powerfull one just for the sake of convenience but if i can get away with what i have I will keep it, also my currient antec 430 is over 6 years old and has been on 24/7 ever since, It has proved it's worth but I don't want to jeopardize the new parts with the old PSU if it's going to die pretty soon

I highly recommend Vista Home Premium. It is 5x better then XP and to play DirectX 10 games you need Vista.

Also have you given any thoughts about a Quad core processor? The new DirectX 10 games that are coming out are really utilizing the Quad cores better and benefit from them a lot.

Edit: any of these Antec power supplies will work good: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371010
I have True Power Trio and love it. The other two are just a little bit fancier.

Thanks, the budget just doesn't allow me, but i guess quad core and games that make use of it is truly the future,

is home premium better than Ultimate? price not an issue with the OS so i can go with what ever I wish, The only game i would play would be Unreal Tournament 3

the budget is $870.00 BTW, If i add that new PSU I will be over that value allready not including shipping

No, under load the GPU consumes over 200W alone. Factor in overclocking and your existing hardware, you'd be very close to exceeding spec.
What's your budget?
James

Edit: :) Forgot to post this and had it sitting here in a post box for an hour not being posted, I got beat, wonder why.
While that OCZ PSU is fairly good, you need to look at the fine print, it can only ouptut a maximum of 50A over the 12V rails, meaning it wouldn`t be enough to run a high end SLI rig, though for a single card configuration, you cannot beat it`s price.
The OCZ powsupply that jrm meantioned is better then then those Antec power supplies, especially for the price.
Games will not utilize quad cores for another year, we only have about 5 games that will utilize 2 cores, nevermind 4.

I guess the PSU is in order for a change, the antec I have is 6-7 years old.

Edited by r55741, 11 November 2007 - 05:27 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

is home premium better than Ultimate? price not an issue with the OS so i can go with what ever I wish, The only game i would play would be Unreal Tournament 3

Ultimate is the better one but it does not have that many more features. I would go with Home Premium but if you really want to spend the money then go ahead and get Ultimate.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yes get a new powersupply its not worth messing up your hardware with insufficient power.

Here is the link for the 2gb of ddr2 gskill ram for $55.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231098

or the other brands...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211066

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146118

I bought the Gskill ram above for my computer build and it is good stuff. You can overclock some out of the ram also.

I havnt had time to test out any overclocking with that ram much but I will soon.

Its very easy to get the Gskill from 800mhz up to 915mhz.... If you know what you are doing so its not crappy ram.

Edited by jrm20, 11 November 2007 - 05:59 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you don't mind mail in rebates, I'd go with this RAM.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227231
What I have always liked about OCZ, they use pretty good chips, but if you overclock they have an overvoltage protection that will protect you till 2.2V. This RAM will run stable at 2.1V, not to mention timings are tighter (CAS4 opposed to CAS5).

Also, it's important to mention, that since you have ran your PSU for 6 years 24/7 your efficiency will have also dropped, so it's peak output will be lower then when you had originally purchased the unit. So theoretically with a new unit, it will pay for itself because of the greater efficiency.

James

Edited by james_8970, 11 November 2007 - 07:06 PM.

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Yes get a new powersupply its not worth messing up your hardware with insufficient power.

Here is the link for the 2gb of ddr2 gskill ram for $55.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231098

or the other brands...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211066

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146118

I bought the Gskill ram above for my computer build and it is good stuff. You can overclock some out of the ram also.

I havnt had time to test out any overclocking with that ram much but I will soon.

Its very easy to get the Gskill from 800mhz up to 915mhz.... If you know what you are doing so its not crappy ram.

:) I will get that gskill ! ;)

Another thing that just came to mind is that my syncmaster 710t will only support 1280x1024, so overclocking with this monitor is kinda worthless as far as gaming goes?

aren't all these parts overkill for that kind of resolution in pretty much any game? is the samsung 22 inch SyncMaster 226BW any good or is there something better in the $300 range? i would like to be able to play games at the best resolution

also the evga 8800gt is the super clocked version that runs at 700Mhz clock 2000 memory and I don't think I will ever get around to try to over clock this,

could I then buy a cheaper PSU? I like antec because it has proved so good this far even after a burned P4 3gz blew up,

or could I just keep the old PSU? what happens when they go bad? does everything die with it or just the PSU?

the OCZ GameXStream just seems a bit expensive.

so many questions :) thanks guys

edit: never mind I take the ocz psu

If you don't mind mail in rebates, I'd go with this RAM.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227231
What I have always liked about OCZ, they use pretty good chips, but if you overclock they have an overvoltage protection that will protect you till 2.2V. This RAM will run stable at 2.1V, not to mention timings are tighter (CAS4 opposed to CAS5).

Also, it's important to mention, that since you have ran your PSU for 6 years 24/7 your efficiency will have also dropped, so it's peak output will be lower then when you had originally purchased the unit. So theoretically with a new unit, it will pay for itself because of the greater efficiency.

James

oh jeez I'll have to take that one, Along with the bigger PSU :)

Edited by r55741, 11 November 2007 - 07:32 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Another thing that just came to mind is that my syncmaster 710t will only support 1280x1024, so overclocking with this monitor is kinda worthless as far as gaming goes?

Over clocking is never really pointless, as it will raise your minimum frame rates, though overclocking will not be quite as influential as it would be with a higher resolution. Keep in mind it will be helpful in other tasks like photoshop of video encoding if you do this.

is the samsung 22 inch SyncMaster 226BW any good or is there something better in the $300 range? i would like to be able to play games at the best resolution

I actually bought two of these monitors, for a dual setup. I couldn't be happier, I did a comparison to the LG unit with the same specs and I found that the Samsung was better. The 226CW is even better, though it is around 30-50$ more, in canada anyways. The 8800GT will support modern games at this resolution, maybe not quite max with full AA, but you will still be playing with fairly high settings, also I find the higher the resolution, the less AA you need, someone else may have different experiences.

also the evga 8800gt is the super clocked version that runs at 700Mhz clock 2000 memory and I don't think I will ever get around to try to over clock this

You may be able to, keep in mind that the XFX warranty covers modding and overclocking, so if they are a little cheaper what do you have to lose.

or could I just keep the old PSU? what happens when they go bad? does everything die with it or just the PSU?

Exactly, if a PSU goes, it could potentially kill the entire system.

James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yeah that ocz reaper is a good deal if you get the rebate.

The gskill I posted will run 4-4-4-12 but you have to set it manually and up the voltage slightly which is easy for average overclocking guys..

The ocz 700W powersupply is actually cheap considering how much performance you are getting.. Look at other 700W good name brand/quality psu's and tell me how much they are.. They list that powersupply on newegg for $140 but I showed you that link on clubit.com which is $117 but after rebate its $92 thats very very cheap.

Good luck.

r55741

r55741

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I got the new system running and it works great :)

though i didn't have time to take out all the settings from the old hard drive. would it be possible to extract the settings from the hard drive in some kind of automatic process?

the old hard drive where the settings reside is allready installed as second HD i just dont know how to take out the settings (passwords, bookmarks, my documents) without having to go into each one manually

any ideas?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm afraid there is no automatic process, only a manual process that can sometimes be rather lengthy.
James