Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Error?

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, well i dont use any pirated stuff ive been downloading movies and games from Direct2Drive and music off the ipod store and the program i blackd out is cablenut :)

http://img.photobuck...axx/strange.jpg

http://img.photobuck...xx/strange2.jpg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't see an error there. What I see is that you have WinRAR Archiver installed. Alone, this is just a compression utility much like WinZip. Additionally, it's usually used in conjunction with torrents...which is what raised the red flags in your other topic. To remove the "extra options" from your context menu, uninstall WinRAR Archiver.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, but why does it show "Auto" and i cant access any of my drives unless i right click them and press explore before i only had to click once ive had winRAR installed before and this never happend :) also im not sure but a day ago my startmenu was black i searched on google that it happens when your control panel is "linked" to the start menu now that its unlinked i cant find my control panel! :)

*edit my drives never had a auto option before
oh btw why is my C: drive saying its a file and if im in C: or D: theres a strange brown folder with a magnifying glass that replaces the drive icon? btw sorry but im a noob at pcs *

*edit again i just removed Winzip its still saying "Auto" :)*

Edited by SirNight33, 11 November 2007 - 05:26 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Having all that information in the initial post would have helped a bit....

To open Control Panel, click Start, then Run, type control and click "Ok".

With a lot of these applications, you don't get a good uninstall. Have you tried a system restore to a date before this problem began?

Have you checked this rig for malware?

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
i use windows live onecare program im not really sure what it finds because i never turn my pc off it always scans and does things when im sleeping

*edit oh and i dont know if this helps but if my pc is lagging and if i unplug the internet cable then plug it back in multiple times its fine for about 10minutes then it starts slowing down again also my internet speed goes down from 10mb/sec to 50~150kb sometimes*

Edited by SirNight33, 11 November 2007 - 05:41 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Because all these symptoms can be caused by malware, I would suggest you start by letting our malware experts have a look at the problem. It sounds like a repair installation may be in order, but you only want to do that if you're certain that the machine is completely free of malware. Do you have your XP installation cd?

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok thx i hope they can fix what evers wrong with my pc btw ATF cleaner just cleared up 7GBs is that normal? :)

SirNight33

SirNight33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok ive got another problem im at the system restore screen but theres no option to create a point or flush the old ones

*edit nevermind i had to restart it ^^*

Edited by SirNight33, 11 November 2007 - 05:56 PM.