Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB to IDE drive detected but not showing?

• Please log in to reply

Triple_uk

Triple_uk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok so I just bought ausb 2.0 to IDE adapter to back up my old HD I took out of my laptop. I plug it up it powers up and windows XP detects it ok. It sais mass storage device is detected and ready to use. But..it doesnt show in my computer or in disk managment?!?? It does show in device manager as being plugged into a usb port, and the driver infomation sais it is installed and working properly. I just cant understand where Im going wrong! Could someone plz help I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Maybe the drive jumper(s) need altering, depending on the brand of disk, in order for it to be fully recognised when used externally. Many people will tell you the drive jumpers are irrelevant when connected via USB but that isn't always so. I know this from my own experience. See what happens if none of the pins are jumpered (ie remove jumper(s) completely).

I don't have much faith in those 'IDE to USB' converter cables personally, I had one but soon bought a proper drive enclosure which never causes any problems.

Edited by pip22, 12 November 2007 - 09:55 AM.

mory

mory

• Pip
  • 1 posts
One year since the last response, but I have the exact same problem. I put my old drive in a usb to ide, it got detected, but didn't show up anywhere except under disk drives in device manager. What should happen if I remove the jumpers completely? I did that and, it's odd, but it still says it's connected, even after I've turned off the device! Has the problem been solved? And which drive enclosure do you recommend?