Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Timezone matters

• Please log in to reply

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I have noticed that this site doesn't just have Americans and British using them, and I'm recently stuck in a slow helpout because of the timezone difference me and my helper share, so why not have helpers from each timezone? It'll be FAR faster and easier to solve like that...

Also, if this is the right place to post this, I think I need another helper from another timezone closer to mine to help me in my problem here.

I'm sincerely thanking G2G staff for helping me here in advance. Thank you.

~KeLvlN

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,960 posts
  • MVP
Kelvin,

We do have helpers from multiple timezones, but your suggestion isn't really practical for a number of reasons. First off, many of our members don't provide their location - we can't decide who should help them if we don't always know where they're from. Second, some helpers are more comfortable or knowledgeable in some areas than others. It makes more sense to have someone who understands your issue helping you, than to assign someone simply because they're in your timezone. Third, our service is free and we're all volunteers, with lives and responsibilities and interests outside of the forums. You really can't complain about the level or speed of service when you're getting free competent help. You could take your PC into a shop, which means you would be without it entirely, and you'd probably pay some ridiculous price for the service.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Kelvin,

We do have helpers from multiple timezones, but your suggestion isn't really practical for a number of reasons. First off, many of our members don't provide their location - we can't decide who should help them if we don't always know where they're from. Second, some helpers are more comfortable or knowledgeable in some areas than others. It makes more sense to have someone who understands your issue helping you, than to assign someone simply because they're in your timezone. Third, our service is free and we're all volunteers, with lives and responsibilities and interests outside of the forums. You really can't complain about the level or speed of service when you're getting free competent help. You could take your PC into a shop, which means you would be without it entirely, and you'd probably pay some ridiculous price for the service.

Yes, I do know this is free, and I apologize if I'm causing people here at G2G a havoc, but it's VERY troublesome to send it to a shop as my parents will whine a lot, and I'm not supposed to meddle with computers so much at my age, so I decided to find a solution on my own, instead of relying on my parents to bring it to a shop to repair. In short terms, G2G is the only way I can solve my computer problem for now. I hope you understand my condition here, and I'm sure other users will have the same condition also.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,960 posts
  • MVP
We're not here to save you from your parents' anger if you've mucked up your computer. In looking at your log, you've actually been helped pretty quickly. We have hundreds of people that ask for help - far more people need help than we have people to help them. Many wait 3 days or more, simply because we can't get to them all right away. You should really be thankful that you're getting the help you need as quickly s you are. Your problem is no more urgent than anyone else's, except for the fact that you're trying to stay out of trouble, and it's not fair that you think you should somehow get prioritized help based on your time zone.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

We're not here to save you from your parents' anger if you've mucked up your computer. In looking at your log, you've actually been helped pretty quickly. We have hundreds of people that ask for help - far more people need help than we have people to help them. Many wait 3 days or more, simply because we can't get to them all right away. You should really be thankful that you're getting the help you need as quickly s you are. Your problem is no more urgent than anyone else's, except for the fact that you're trying to stay out of trouble, and it's not fair that you think you should somehow get prioritized help based on your time zone.

Oh. Thanks for the note. I didn't know.

Also, I do not mean getting prioritized help based on my time zone, I'm meaning having a group of helpers dedicated to timezone A, and another group dedicated to timezone B. The size of the group depends on how many people are from the specific timezone, thus helping others to solve their problems quicker. Now that you mentioned it, I just noticed what you were saying as I just went through the forums (again, yes I'm bored) and I could see there was an average 7 hours delay between posts.

Thank you for clearing this up for me, sari. I'm extremely grateful for your useful post. Thank you.