Title: I had “limited or no connectivity” problem and finally fixed it.
I have been having bad home network problems since December 5, 2007. I got “Limited or no connectivity” on two PC’s which connect wirelessly and could not connect to the Internet. Two computers with wired connections worked fine as did another which connects wirelessly.
Some of the time the PC’s appeared to connect and I did not get the “limited etc.” message. Some of the time I could ping the router, sometimes even Internet sites, but browsers failed with DNS error. Sometimes could not ping the router.
Initially had a Linksys WRT54G v8 wireless router which had worked fine since I got it in late September. Replaced it with Netgear WNR854T wireless (draft) N router. The problem PC’s had the same symptoms with the new router.
I have Earthlink high speed cable modem internet (very similar to road runner). Run Windows XP SP2, fully updated. Have Norton Internet Security 2007 on all PC’s, and have Cybersitter on the wireless PC’s.
Had a very hard time with this. I am a long time computing professional, oracle & unix skills, not much networking experience prior to starting with home networking summer 2005.
Tried lots of things I found on the Internet. Setting fixed IP addresses helped a little, got me onto the home network at least sometimes, but the principal use of the PC’s is to browse the Internet, instant message, etc. The Netgear router auto assigns IP’s all the time, so I am keeping it. The Linksys DHCP seemed balky.
Nothing worked, I was very frustrated. Then I thought of system restore. I restored both PC’s back to mid November. (start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore). On one PC it fixed the problem immediately. On the other it didn’t, but I did system restore again and it worked! Back on the Internet, everything fine on all PC’s.
Did not deinstall service pack 2, just returned to a restore point prior to December 5, 2007. Along the way I deinstalled Norton from both PC’s and reinstalled after the problem was fixed, don’t think this was necessary, but not sure.
I ascribe the problem to the Windows automatic update received 3 AM December 5, 2007. I have turned off Windows update on all PC’s, because I no longer have confidence in it. I will apply updates manually from now on. picking and choosing carefully.
I suggest that if you encounter “limited or no connectivity” problem, or the situation where you get connected to home network and perhaps can even ping Internet, but get a DNS error when attempting to connect to Internet sites with a browser, then run system restore (start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore) and restore to a restore point created when the problem was not present.