Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Belkin Wireless router

• Please log in to reply

js1120

js1120

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just bought a wireless router, hardwired it into my desktop, my isp is on DSL not cable. I haven't had any problems with the desktop getting on the internet, but I am having a problem getting on with my laptop (both XP). With my laptop, I login on and connect to the router with no problem. I am unable to connect to the internet using explorer. I have a error message, "DNS error" unable to connect.

My laptop is set to Dynamic for the DNS, is it something I am missing in the router settings.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't by any chance have Norton Firewall installed do you? I recently tried to get my grandaughter's laptop to use my internet connection via my wireless router. Wouldn't connect even though it found the router and showed a strong wireless signal. I then noticed Norton Firewall was installed on her laptop, which I hate with a vengeance. I uninstalled it, made sure Windows Firewall was enabled, then rebooted. The connection now works no problem.

Edited by pip22, 13 November 2007 - 03:31 AM.

js1120

js1120

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks alot for the reply. This is a company laptop and it has etrust antivirus software. They use microsoft's firewall.