Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

wilfred

wilfred

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello everyone.......

can anyone tell me how to stop xp from restarting......every time i start my computer,,,,,,,,,it loads and then every 20 seconds after starting is restarts,.....if i don't turn it off it just keeps on restarting every time..............please help

wilfred

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Wilfred,

It is normally easy to keep it from doing this - the problem is now you will get the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) because something is causing it to reboot. The good thing about the BSOD is that it will often give you a clue or error message to what it wrong.

To disable Auto-Restart, go to Control Panel, System icon, select the Advanced tab, and click on Settings. In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart". Ensure Write an event to the system log is checked.

Then select Ok and close the remaining windows.

If you are not able to open the Control Panel because you can't get to it, try going into safe mode and then accessing that setting. See here to see how to access Safe Mode.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
[removed -- bad advice]

Edited by admin, 23 April 2005 - 09:53 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Whoa! I strongly advise against reformatting or even a recovery - there are way to many possibilities to just jump to "last resort" options first. This can be slow CPU fan, or loose RAM, any number of things. Try to get it to stop first before anything drastic.

You will lose too much, all critical updates, patches, driver updates, application updates, and everything if you format now. And recovery will do much the same to system files.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Whoa! I strongly advise against reformatting or even a recovery - there are way to many possibilities to just jump to "last resort" options first. This can be slow CPU fan, or loose RAM, any number of things. Try to get it to stop first before anything drastic.

You will lose too much, all critical updates, patches, driver updates, application updates, and everything if you format now. And recovery will do much the same to system files.

View Post

ive reformatted A 1000 times. getting your driver updates, Windows updates, and all your programs back is simple. But if U got really important information and dont wanna lose it take it to a recovery Technician, but I warn you its usually quite expensive

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I didn't say it was hard - but it is not simple to get all your "CURRENT" drivers, updates, and programs back. They cannot just be copied, they have to be installed to become registered in the registry. Backing up any saved email is intuitive, restoring it after a format is even less. Even if everything goes perfectly smoothly - or better yet, you used a new slipstreamed SP2, it can take hours to download and install everything, and days, to tweak and customize all your preferences.

More importantly, you lose all the critical updates that you need while you are out getting the latest virus signatures, etc.

Yes, a reformt and install can cost a $100 or so - but how much is yoiur time worth, and what would you be out if you lost years of data - or at least up to last week's backup - you've backed up all your data, right? Yeah, right.

If your computer is not a toy to you, formatting is always the last resort.

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
what error message is it giving you when you turn it on now?

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I didn't say it was hard - but it is not simple to get all your "CURRENT" drivers, updates, and programs back. They cannot just be copied, they have to be installed to become registered in the registry. Backing up any saved email is intuitive, restoring it after a format is even less. Even if everything goes perfectly smoothly - or better yet, you used a new slipstreamed SP2, it can take hours to download and install everything, and days, to tweak and customize all your preferences.

More importantly, you lose all the critical updates that you need while you are out getting the latest virus signatures, etc.

yea but What would you rather have a non working computer or Computer that works?

Also It usually took me about an hour or 2 to Have everything re-installed,Including , games,drivers, Sp2,etc.

Usually When you bought hardware such as video cards or sound cards ,they come with a cd to install driver. Also you could just goto your control panel and update youdr drivers through windows xp, but most drivers recommend that you have Sp2 Installed first.

Edited by L3vidog, 18 April 2005 - 10:54 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

yea but What would you rather have a non working computer or  Computer that works?

View Post

My data! Besides, I'm not a quitter - formatting is just taking the easy way out. Sorry kid - formatting is NEVER the first option.

Edited by bill_bright, 18 April 2005 - 10:55 AM.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well bill bright, Im just saying If you know you can Retrieve all your information back , Why not reformat? Also If you don't want to lose your information Shouldn't it be backup'd on Some floppy's or Cd's?

Edited by L3vidog, 18 April 2005 - 11:00 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Well bill bright, Im just saying If you know you can Retrieve all your information back , Why not reformat? Also If you don't want to lose your information Shouldn't it be  backup'd on Some floppy's or Cd's?

View Post

I already said why.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Don't know if original poster is still interested, but I had same problem with brand new machine delivered to office. Was ready to call to have it returned, but took off cover and found a power wire tangled in the fan blade. System would overheat quickly and shut off. Was most aggravating at first because first startup would work for a while, but after if got some heat in it, wouldn't even complete boot sequence.

Check the simple stuff first!!!

Edited by rrush, 23 April 2005 - 12:35 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Post your system specs. That will help members to help you. Can you boot into safe mode? Can you boot to a bootable cd like windows install. Can you get into the bios? What have you tried so far to solve the problem. Have you visually inspected for problems, like fans not running etc?

I agree format is the LAST option, not the first. Check simple and basic things first. Work through methodically. There are a whole multitude of things it COULD be. Need to rule each one out as you work though it. It may well be the power supply is flakey. Steps I identified above will help to determine if it is or not. :tazz: