Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard to even get started

• Please log in to reply

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK. Heard good things about Puppy Linux. Went there. Chose download.
Got huge list of arcane choices! What to choose?? Why?

This is where most Windows users get lost. Intuitively, I expect to download something when I choose to click on a "Download" button!
And I expect to download the most recent version by default.
Why does this need to be confusing?

Would someone please explain how I go about obtaining the most recent version of Puppy Linux .iso to burn a 'Live CD?'

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
it would be best to follow this up on the puppy board
http://www.murga-lin...puppy/index.php

Edited by fleamailman, 12 November 2007 - 03:02 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Thanks, Fleamailman. Download is underway. Still sort of confusing to a first-timer.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
puppy is a great distro but the problem is that the leaner the distro the more the configuration is placed on self whereas a bigger distro is often easier because it tends to be more guistyle so if things become too much just try kubuntu or pclinux which are more standard starter linuxes I feel, good luck then

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I have DSL, Ubuntu and PClinuxOS live CDs, just thought I'd take a look at puppy. Download failed with errors 3 times. Phooey. Too much trouble.

Just getting my feet wet with linux. Still waiting for the 'holy grail.' As a user who was born, weaned, and raised with XP, it's daunting to make the conceptual paradigm switch. I instinctively go looking for parameters that do not exist, and am blind to those in front of my face.

I have yet to discover a tutorial really written for the user whose thinking is as conditioned to Windows XP as is mine. Maybe you should write one?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
often a LUG is the answer,(linux user group) see if there is one your area, also if you go into a coffee shop and see a linux user, go up and talk to him or her since they tend to be only too smug to show off their system(looking at the mirror here) and my bet will be that they will even give you a ready burned ISO of their distro too(ditto,done it many times too), btw did you see my rave on kubuntu here, even silverbeard seemed to like it so try that next when your feet crave dipping again,sin

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK. Good thoughts. Will look for a LUG.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Paste the download link into Kget, it supports resume, so if you lose the download you can start where you left off.