Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP sp2 update problems

• Please log in to reply

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I ended up replacing my mobo and processor.. (from an AMD Athlon XP 2700 on a MSI KT4VL to a P4 2.4gig on a Biostar P4M80-M4) Any way.. Windows says "updates ready to install" but they fail to.. even after trying these tips:

Quote Admin:

"After running a repair, you may find that Windows Update refuses to install the most recent 80 patches. This is because the latest version of Windows Update is broken, and doesn't register some DLLs if they're previously been registered (as happens with a repair install). Here's a work around until they get it fixed:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
net stop wuauserv
exit

2. Register the file that is used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, press ENTER after the command, and then click OK when you receive a verification message:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note: for x64 machines regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
net start wuauserv
exit

edit: New knowledge base article on this issue, and a post on the Microsoft Update Blog."

I also checked the knowledge base and the blog... but to no avail... I hate windows. :)

any help would be much appreciated

Advertisements

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It might help if I add that the update (the only one I know is doing this so far) that is failing is Windows Installer 3.1.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Bahlzeron,

You could try using the Windows Installer troubleshooting steps in the following MS KB:
How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

Let is know if you need assistance or any more information and please tell us how it goes.

Regards,

Ax

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Dial-a-Fix from the link in my signature. Unzip and run dial-a-fix.exe. Check "Fix Windows Updates". Other boxes will also be checked. This is normal. Now Click "Go". This should fix your windows updates problem.

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ax, thank you but unfortunately that didnt fix it.

The Skeptic, I ran Dial-a-fix.. and it found this:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\ActiveDesktop\NoHTMLWallpaper

Value: 1

type: REG_DWORD

Here's a screenie to help:

Posted Image

Dont know what that is so I'll wait for your input... thank you both much

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have never seen this screen before. Please repeat the procedure written in my previous post. Check only "Fix Windows Updates" and click Go. Nothing else.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Bahlzeron,

Try the following fix (from wugnet.com):

Download the EXE installer for Windows Installer 3.1 v2 from here
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en
You can try running it, but most probably will get an "Access denied" error and it will roll back the changes. If it installs fine, then you are set and don't need to do anything more, if not, look below.

Make sure Automatic Updates are turned off, or set them to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them."
Also make sure WinXP's CD isn't in your CD/DVD drive.

Check in the Services app (services.msc) that Windows Installer service isn't running, stop it if needed.

Open the X:\Windows\system32\dllcache\ folder (where X: is your system drive) and delete these three files (if they exist):
msi.dll
msihnd.dll
msiexec.exe

After that, from this Symantec article
http://service1.syma...n...v=&osv_lvl=
do this:
On the Windows desktop, click Start > Run.
In the Open line, type cmd and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, depending on your version of Windows, and then press Enter after each line.

cd \windows\system32
ren msi.dll msi.old
ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
exit

(Notice that after each rename you will get a prompt from Windows that system files have been replaced, and it asks for the WinXP CD in order to restore them. Do NOT put the WinXP CD into the drive, click Cancel, then choose Yes in the other dialog box that appears.)
Restart the computer.

Run the Windows Installer 3.1 EXE installer (downloaded in the beginning).
Follow the prompts to complete the installation, it will install fine.
Restart the computer.

You might get dialog boxes with errors about msi.dll missing.
I got such a dialog box from my anti-virus software.
Start the Command prompt (cmd) again, and rename the three files back.
Go to Windows Update. It will say it needs to install Windows Installer 3.1, and will say the installation failed, but it will actually succeed.
Do not restart the computer, click the link to Windows Update Home on the left to go back to the main Windows Update screen with the "Express" & "Custom" buttons.
Click the Express button, it should show you all post-SP2 updates (around 40-50 MBs). They should download quickly (if you are not on dial-up).
After the updates install, restart your computer.

You can now change the Auto Updates setting to the one you like.
To check if Windows Installer has been properly updated, follow this link
http://blogs.msdn.co.../05/448386.aspx

Regards,

Ax

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sweet.. thankyou ax.. that seems to have done the trick. :)

now I just gotta figure out why windows is only reporting 1 gig of ram though I have actually 1.5 gigs installed (1x 1gig, and 1x 512) But thats another subject so after I check my BIOS settings I'll search for a cure.. if not then I'll start a new thread for it.

Thankyou both very much!!! :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Glad to hear it! As for your RAM issue, here's a step in the right direction:
RAM is wrong: Video hardware makes Windows misreport RAM

Regards,

Ax

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Kool, thankyou much for all your help.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
No problem at all, you're welcome. Glad to be of assistance!