Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please prove the computer tech wrong

• Please log in to reply

Common

Common

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i brought my computer to a local computer fixer. after a few days he said that i needed to pay him 25$ to clean my computer because it was so dirty. I was like OK just fix my computer!! It has alot of valuable memories on my harddrive.

so he calls back an hour later and says that he cant get it to start up because the problem was when i start it up, after the windows XP logo, its just a black screen.

he says all this stuff about my motherboard being too hot and melting or malfunctioning.

now i have to probably buy a new one but i need to stuff that was on my computer!!

its 2.5 years old
HP
1GB of ram
Windows xp media center
intel Pentium 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3.0 GHz)

please tell me what to do!!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you actually got the PC back and tried it for yourself? It's not unknown for some unscrupulous small outfits to tell you the PC is toast when it isn't, then they not only hae chance of selling you a new one, they also sell your old one to someone who doesn't want to buy new.

HP build quality computers, allbeit very often using non-standard parts which put's many people off, but they are well-made. I find it hard to believe that the mainboard or it's main components have failed in 2.5 years, though I have known a hard disk fail in less time (usually those made by Maxtor).
I would get the PC back and boot it up, then tell us what happens before you write it off. If it really is 'stuffed', you can fit the hard drive as a 'slave' to a working PC to copy files from it if it is still readable.

Edited by pip22, 13 November 2007 - 03:19 AM.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

i brought my computer to a local computer fixer

Why did you have to take it in, in the first place? What was the problem you were having that led to this?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It sounds a bit fishy, but even if the motherboard is toast, the hard drive should be ok. Personally, it sounds like you should get the computer out of there and have someone more trusted check it out.

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
allright so its been a couple of months but i got around to getting it back and probably just get my hard drive out so i can keep my files.

i know NOTHING about computers but i managed to read a couple of threads and try some stuff out myself.

i took out the ram and booted it up without ram and it still did nothing. no beeps, no buzzing, just the same black screen after the Windows XP Media Center logo.

now thats pretty much all i understood and know what to do

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can you boot and enter safe mode? Start the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key, then if a list appears choose "last known good configuration"

If that don't work reboot and do the same but choose "safe mode"

let us know if either works

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
no it freezes up when it starts listing all these weird component names

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would like you to do one thing before we get into in-depth troubleshooting because I have seen it on hp's in the shop before.

Look the motherboard over very carefully, look at the capacitors for bulges or leaking, here are some pics so you know what to look for

Bad caps

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I would like you to do one thing before we get into in-depth troubleshooting because I have seen it on hp's in the shop before.

Look the motherboard over very carefully, look at the capacitors for bulges or leaking, here are some pics so you know what to look for

Bad caps

nope they are all clean and fine

but when i was checking, i found this big grey box loose and underneath i think it was the processor chip. here are some pics: (you can click to fullsize)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

could that be possibly what is causing this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It absolutely can cause the problems you describe. Get yourself some good thermal paste (like Arctic Silver), using denatured alcohol - clean the old goo off the processor core (metallic area in the center) and the cooler (thing with fins and fan), apply new thermal paste (per instructions), and reinstall the cooler on the processor.

Your processor may or may not have been damaged by overheating because of this. The only way to find out is to see if the machine will start after reattaching the cooler.

Advertisements

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
also there are hooks on the big chunk of metal. there are four on each corner and there are 2 missing on the left side

i think those hinges being gone are what caused it to come off.

thanks for your reply btw :)

im currently running a chkdsk c: /r right now and its taking forever! but ill update asap

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DO NOT run the machine without the cooler installed...you may very easily fry the processor.

Go pick up a new cooler...it should come with attaching brackets and a fan.

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
the cooler thing is still on but most likely loose but i left it on

okay so update:

i ran the chkdsk c: /r and it said that it found and fixed more than one error. didnt specify what it was.

now it still doesnt load. i even tried system restore, SMART checking, self checking on the BIOS screen and still no luck.

then i system restored it because last time it worked. after it told me to restart for it to take place so i did and it still hung up on the window logo.
i tried safe mode one more time and now after listing all those component names theres a box that says

"System not fully installed"

ahhhh what to do now :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The first thing you need to do is get that cpu cooler fixed up. We'll go from there. The more you try to run that machine that way, the bigger the chance you're going to burn it up. So far you've been lucky.

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
alright i think ill go to walmart to find some thermal paste but IF, i was to buy a brand new cooler should i buy

http://cgi.ebay.ca/I...1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/I...1QQcmdZViewItem