Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Peer to peer - ethernet crossover configuration

• Please log in to reply

recordcatch

recordcatch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've spent more than 2 full days on this and am making no progress - I would appreciate same hand-holding, and perhaps others will find this topic useful. I have 2 computers that I want to connect to each other. One is an old laptop running NT4, the other a new HP running XP SP2. The primary purpose of this network is to allow me to move data files between the 2 machines, especially to free disk space on the laptop - my thinking at this point is that the enabling network connection needs to/should not exist unless such transfers are occurring, eg Each machine will independently access the internet rather than run as a LAN connected to the internet.

Each machine has a single ethernet NIC, and they are connected with an Ethernet Crossover cable. I've read much on the subject of establishing this connection - mostly saying how easy it is, and providing highly varied descriptions of how to configure the machines. I also read a fair amount of network overview information, but my knowledge is not coming together in any meaningful way. I've developed little understanding of the issues and methods of establishing this connection, and made no progress.

One thing about which nothing is said, except at MS, is the need to establish second IP Addresses and IP Masks on each NIC. The NT machine won't accept the MS's example IP Address and the IP MAsk is a complete mistery to me. I inspected the register values associated with IPAddress and IPMask, Googled the terms, and determined I have no chance without aid of figuring out how to establish a peer-to-peer ethernet connection between these 2 machines. I've come here seeking help.

Unfortunately, directions that simply outline the steps to be taken, but don't describe how to perform the steps nor the values to enter, or describe how to determine the necessary values, are beyond my abilities.

All thoughts, links to instructions, or direct how-to's are greatly appreciated. Getting this done is my primary goal/focus, and it's getting to the point of some urgency, but I hope I learn enough in the process to be able to show some intelligent understanding of networks and be more self-sufficient and able to narrow in on specific issues.

Jim

Advertisements

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
just you've to enter any ip address of single subnet n/w or else u just simply enter 10.1.1.1 in 1 PC and 10.1.1.2 in other pc, ----if it asks for subnet mask enter 255.0.0.0 in both PCs.
i hope entering IP into the LAN connection is OK with u.

Steps in case reqd:
go to LAn connection.
rt click
go to properties
under general TAB select TCP/IP, then click on properties button downthere
select -use following IP address
enter address 10.1.1.1 and subnet mask enter 255.0.0.0 (10.1.1.2 in 2nd PC)
select -use following DNS server address
enter address 10.1.1.1 in preffereed DNS server row.
click 'OK'

after entering these details in both PCs, the LAn connection will be shown 'connected' (which can

seen by rt clicking the "LAN connection icon" in Network connection), IF 'yes' then network is made

with other PC

go to 'start' menu
select run
enter \\10.1.1.x (where 'x' isother pc number e.g. 10.1.1.2, if connecting from 10.1.1.1 to

10.1.1.2)

if that doesn't work enter \\10.1.1.x\c$ or \\10.1.1.x\d$ where c and d are hard disk name

in case of any problem, report the exact problem with error received
or can reply back at [email protected]

regards

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
In addition to previous reply, Also ensure that

1. File and Print sharing should be enabled and you should be sharing a file on each PC.

2. The Computer Identification--or workgroup name--of each PC must be the same. For instance, if one PC has the workgroup name of MSHOME, then the other PC must have the same ID.

recordcatch

recordcatch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
dinkaragg,

Thanks very much for the reply. I followed youyr instructions the best I could. I did the NT machine first - couldn't find anyway to input the (preferred) DNS server address, and got an error message that said nic has an empty WINS address - continue? - I continued. I inspected the registery to see what had happened and was somewhat concerned as I didn't see what I expected - the new IPaddress didn't show, but it did look like there was a change to values indicating the use of 2 IP addresses. Seeing this I was glad I hadn't tried to directly edit the registery. I then spplied your instructions on the XP machine - there was a DNS entry here, and no error message appeared. As soon as I entered the values it showed the connection as being made ;) - something had gone right. I then entered the \\10.1.1.1 command string in the XP machine and viola, up poped a window showing the files I had already shared on the NT machine. I then copied some big files back and forth between the machines ;) :tazz: I seem to be unable to delete files from the NT machine while I'm on the XP machine, but this is of no functional concern to me. It also appears that if I change a files status on the NT machine to shared while the machines are linked refresh the XP window and try to copy from the window to an XP file that I get a "Shortcut" instead of the file itself. I then ran the specified command on the NT machine and up came a window on the XP machine. I didn't try to do anything with it - and wondered if it was smart to link in both directions at the same time.

Bottom line - I'm delighted - thank you very much - quick and easy to do - hoping everything still works fine after I reboot the machines - expecting it will.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Question - are there any status indicators associated with posts/threads so that I can indicate the status of the thread as "Problem Solved"?

dinkaragg

dinkaragg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
a shared folder can't be deleted but can be cut, copied.
u can't drag a shared folder to ur desktop, though u can drag a file to make a copy on desktop.
to copy folder, use rt click and copy
also ensure u give full writes i.e read,write,full control, execute etc......to the shared folder