Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card: HD 2600XT problems

• Please log in to reply

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently bought an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 512 DDR4. I have been having problems with it getting an error saying that graphics display has stopped responding and has successfully recovered. This always happens when playing games, stuff with alot of graphics and even games with minimal. I have no clue what to do. I have contact ATI, and MSI but getting no answers on what to do. I have tried using ATItool to fix it for awhile to overclock the fan to 100% which was working for about a month, now nothing seems to fix it anymore.

System specs
Motherboard: Asus P5KC
Processor: Q6600 2.4ghz
Memory: Corsair 2gb ddr3 1333mhz (may be wrong on that.. off the top of my head)
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 512mb DDR4

Not sure what else would be needed. Please help me with this, if anyone knows a solution let me know.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What kind of power supply are you running this system with?

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from here: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html?

I'm not an ATI user so can you tell me if the ATI Tool monitors and logs temperatures like the Nvidia couterpart?

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Power supply: CoolMax CUG-700B GREEN Power Modular Design 700W

Latest drivers installed, and ATItool monitors tempatures, but to be honest.. not sure if it logs it.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The error that you are getting I was recieving on a Vista computer at work. I updated the drivers on the machine and it fixed the issue.

I would reinstall your drivers first. When reinstalling new drivers always remove the old ones first. After that reboot.

Next be sure to close out any real time protection services such as an anti-virus or firewall and uplug all USB devices. Now it is safe to install your new drivers. Reboot and you are ready to go.

I would attempt to rollback to older driver if you are still having issues after that.

Keep an eye on your GPU temperature. Anything over 90C is unacceptable.

Edited by Titan8990, 14 November 2007 - 02:53 AM.

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've updated the drivers, and reinstalled them several times in an attempt to fix it, so far it doesn't work. So far the GPU runs at a 79C.

I have been told by a couple of people who use ATItool to use the voltage control but it doesn't show up on mine. Saying I should lower it some and it should fix it. Just thought I should add that in here, but so far it doesn't seem like it is over heating...

Edited by Nickwisni, 14 November 2007 - 04:11 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is this occuring in Vista or XP? What games specifically?

You shouldn't need to underclock your card...

Edited by Titan8990, 14 November 2007 - 05:58 AM.

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So far, I've tried Battlefield 2, World in Conflict, Battlefield 2142, World of Warcraft, Titan Quest, Command and Conquer 3. Each game has been uninstalled before using another to determine if any of them work. So far the only game I have been able to play with no problem is Navy Field (small MMO game). I am using Vista. I used XP and it happened there so I stopped using it and went to Vista. Everything was okay at first than started happening again.

Edit: going to attempt downgrading back to XP to see if that is more stable. If you think otherwhise let me know, probably going to do it in about 2 hours or so. I need to make back up of my school stuff first.

Edited by Nickwisni, 15 November 2007 - 04:56 AM.

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
After spending some time thinking before I decided to reinstall XP. I decided to do a little more investigating into what could be wrong.. following a previous suggestion that someone said my GPU was over heating. I decided to look into what if my CPU is. Here my CPU was running at 160F and my GPU was running at 70C. I've successfully lowered both tempatures so far.. but no guarrantee for how long. Any suggestions what a person on a low budget currently could do to lower the tempatures down more. They currently are at 132F and 45C but spike up to 60C during game play. Haven't tested it yet on any higher powered games yet.

LemonFlavored

LemonFlavored

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My card seems to run at 112º C (2600xt) and it shuts off on me while i play WoW in windowed mode, but when i play crysis it dosnt shut off (maybe that would help somthing idk)