Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My harddrive is dead?

• Please log in to reply

Wyuetuev

Wyuetuev

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok a few hours ago my hard drive started making Clicking sounds. Like an idiot instead of backing up my data that moment i turned off the pc and tried to go into safemode. My mistake, im seriously kicking myself. I'm sure if i didnt restart it would of been running for at least a few more hours or so. The clicks weren't fast.

Nothing you havent heard before right?Yea. Heres where it gets interesting. As soon as I restarted my pc i get

Stop 00000024 , please run CHKDSK /F

Ok so It wont load up in safe mode or normal. Not exactly possible to run CHKDSK /F. I didn't have a windows XP disk so its impossible to use the recovery console. So I figured I would wait until tomorrow and try to work on it some more. I unplug the oldest hard drive and think that ill use this one until i can get a windows XP disk to recover the other one. I start it up.

File missing or corrupt Nvata.sys

Note this is a completely different drive from the one making clicks. I think maybe i unplugged the wrong one and hook up the other, Nope stop: 00000024.

Then i got a Windows XP from my friend so i could use the recovery console.(Yes i woke him up at 4am) What happens?I cant get the disk to run instead of the hard drive even though its in priority 1 and hard drive is priority 2.

Please any help at all is greatly appreciated, some info on that hard drive is very important, i dont have $1000 to get the data back. I know if it would turn on i could fix it or at least save the data.

Amd 3800x2
2gb OCZ ram pc3200(2-3-2-5)
7800GT
Asus A8n-sli premium
600w PSU

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I understand that you have 2 hard disks and that one is clicking.
First about the windows.

Which one has the windows on it?

I cant get the disk to run instead of the hard drive even though its in priority 1 and hard drive is priority 2.

Do you mean that you set the computer to boot in the bios first from the cd? if not do so.
Is the cd detected in the bios?
If you made the cd first to boot does the computer try and read the cd at all?

Now with the clicking drive.
You can try and connect it to another computer and hope to be able to get some/all of your data.
Many of us have tried to freeze the hard disk first. Take the hard disk and wrap it in 2 sealed bags so that it does not get wet or damp. now put out in the freezer for at least 4,5 hr. Now while frozen connect it to a computer that works. Now after connected to the computer on and c what happens. Many have done this and have been able to save data and for some it did not work but it is worth a try.
Do not try and clone the disk in this situation because there is a spot that probably does not work so you may finish the disk wile trying instead of saving what you can.

Sorry to need to say this again BACK UP DATA it saves allot of time money and aggravation.

Wyuetuev

Wyuetuev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for taking so long. I got the Disk repaired and I have the data on another hard drive safe. I do have 2 new problems though =(

On my new hard drive with windows XP the dvd drive and other hard drive are no longer recognized. The bios recognizes the hard drive but not the dvd drive or cd burner.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Look at this picture
This is a picture of the back of your cd and dvd player.
Look at the blue section. There is a light blue jumper.
This determines who device is the master and who is the slave. It sound like on cd and dvd they are both set to the same position. Change one of them by moving the jumper. The position closest to the ide cable (wide gray cable) will make the cd\dvd the master drive and the one in the middle will make it the slave. You will also notice that there are markings on the CD/dvd that tell u what each position is.

Wyuetuev

Wyuetuev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Look at this picture
This is a picture of the back of your cd and dvd player.
Look at the blue section. There is a light blue jumper.
This determines who device is the master and who is the slave. It sound like on cd and dvd they are both set to the same position. Change one of them by moving the jumper. The position closest to the ide cable (wide gray cable) will make the cd\dvd the master drive and the one in the middle will make it the slave. You will also notice that there are markings on the CD/dvd that tell u what each position is.

Thanks alot. I feel like an idiot for not knowing that but thanks. :) Least I learned something.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Now you know and can help others next time.

:)