Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need 160?

• Please log in to reply

arty62

arty62

• Pip
  • 4 posts
In Device Manager I am showing approx. 160 pci/ide drivers all with yellow warnings. The also are taking up 160 irq slots. Where did they come from, and can I delete?

Striker Extreme, Q6600, 4gb crucial ram, asus 8800gtx (SLI), 2x wd Caviar 759GB Raid 0

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows is telling you these are all the wrong drivers, which means they cannot be working, so removing them will do no harm -- at worst Windows will simply re-detect the unknown devices and put them back in there as they are now. But it's worth a try to see if they do come back. My guess is they are all associated with incorrect device-drivers that someone has installed but which don't match anything on your system. Right-click each one and choose 'Uninstall', then re-boot. If they return please post again stating that you tried the uninstall routine, so we know not to repeat those instructions and we'll look for a different cure.

If they are all incorrect drivers (and effectively redundant ones if everything is working okay that you know of), 160 of them is an awful waste of system resources, not to mention I'm surprised Windows runs at all with all those driver errors in it!

Edited by pip22, 13 November 2007 - 10:07 AM.

arty62

arty62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just went to do as you suggested PiP22, and much to my surprise (Pleasant) they are all gone. There remains just one without flag. At least now I have 150+ irq's back!! Thanks for the good help anyway Pip.