Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

signal Out of range

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have had this happen once along time ago but not to this degree. I tried to change the resolution setting on a new PC with a new 19 " LCD monitor and it went to signal out of range. I rebooted and when it booted into windows the screen went blank and I got the floating box out of range. I could boot into safe mode but could not change anything in the settings. I finally had to hook another monitor up and go into windows reset the settings and shut down. Then I hooked up the new monitor and I was able to boot in to windows with no problem. If that happens again where I can't get into windows and don't have another monitor what can be done? Thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you wait a certain ammount of time, I believe it is 30 seconds, Windows will automatically revert back to the previous resolution if you do not click the "OK" box. Therefore the best thing to do is nothing.

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi, it should be pretty easy to correct this, if it happens again, boot into safe mode, and remove the video adapter and monitor drivers from device manager, shutdown/restart, allow windows to redetect the video adapter and monitor, which will prompt for a restart, do so, when it comes back up, your resolution will be a default standard resolution that the monitor should be able to handle.

The previous poster mentioned:
If you wait a certain ammount of time, I believe it is 30 seconds, Windows will automatically revert back to the previous resolution if you do not click the "OK" box. Therefore the best thing to do is nothing.

This is right, however, if you change the setting, hit OK, and endup having the settings be set, is too late for the 30 second wait.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
There was no message like usual giving you 15 seconds to say OK or it would revert back. It just went signal out of range. I think I found a easier way next time, press F8 like going to the safe mode option but don't pick safe mode. Pick VGA mode and that will convert the setting in window to a VGA mode like safe mode and then you can change the settings. I was lucky to have an extra monitor around. I believe the Hannsg LCD did not like the setting I picked for it. I will be more careful next time. Thanks

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The message did not appear because your monitor could not display it, as you already knew.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
TYep, I would say that was true.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Anyways, glad you got it fixed :).