Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question on Flash Drive Formatting

• Please log in to reply

SkippyJon1997

SkippyJon1997

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just this afternoon my flash drive stopped working correctly. I was using it to save documents and then it wouldn't open it without formatting it. There are a lot of items on this drive that I don't have anywhere else and I can't get to them to save them to something else. I read on another posting that it might be full and that's why it's not opening. It's a 256M drive and I've been using it as my main information holder for about 2 years. If it is full how do I get into it to deleted some things or save the items elsewhere so I can move them to a larger flash drive? Won't everything be erased if I format it? I've tried it on 4 different computers now and they all prompt me to format it. Help!

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have seen this happen with my jump drive occasionally. Formatting will remove everything on it, when it prompts about formatting, did you choose not to do so, then try browsing the jump drive anyway? That normally works for mine, but perhaps is not the case with the problem you are having.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Odd problem. I haven't actually had to deal with such an issue. Do you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool? Or do you just pull the flash drive out when your done? I just wonder if there is an error due to that.

I know there is a tool called Knoppix, you can google for it. I have heard about it, haven't used it. Apparently you can use Knoppix to "rescue" things, like files form a jump drive. Might be worth checking out, if you can't figure any other way to get those files off the drive.

SkippyJon1997

SkippyJon1997

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've taken it to a computer data recovery firm and they are trying to get at what is there. He said that something broke in the stick so it wouldn't work properly. He also said that the brand I have is not all that reliable. Thanks for your suggestions. I hope they're able to recover my data.