Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop HD upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Jxshua.Marks

Jxshua.Marks

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have an hp dv6000 with a 100gb hard drive. hp put the backup disks on a seperate partition so i have about 85gb of space for things. well my music collection has grown past the 50gb mark and i am having trouble finding space to burn dvd's. im looking at upgrading my laptop to a 250gb harddrive. is there a way i can completely clone the hard drive to the new one so i can seemlessly install the upgrade. im running windows vista (sigh) and i have enought problems with it... i dont want this upgrade to cost me alot of time and files. thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Jxshua.Marks! Welcome to the forums. :)

First things first - your avatar! I love it! I remember playing that game heaps and heaps, it was a skiing game, I think Ingemar's Skiing Game? Whoo! I just found it on Google, it's Mac only :) Anyone know how to get it working on Vista?

Anyway, now to your question: I do believe there are plenty of programs that will work for you, I have personally used the Acronis True Image (as a trial), but this is a pay-for program.

My suggestion is this - why not grab an external hard drive, and move your music files onto it?

Jxshua.Marks

Jxshua.Marks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi Jxshua.Marks! Welcome to the forums. :)

First things first - your avatar! I love it! I remember playing that game heaps and heaps, it was a skiing game, I think Ingemar's Skiing Game? Whoo! I just found it on Google, it's Mac only :) Anyone know how to get it working on Vista?

Anyway, now to your question: I do believe there are plenty of programs that will work for you, I have personally used the Acronis True Image (as a trial), but this is a pay-for program.

My suggestion is this - why not grab an external hard drive, and move your music files onto it?

to get that game you can go HERE. it works on my vista comp. i acutall have almost every old-skool windows games. i spent many of my young years as a geek playing these games.

back on topic...

so Acronis will mirror my hard drive onto another hard drive. awsome. i have not found a portable hard drive that works on my vista comp. everyone i cannot figure out how to get to connnect. its frustrating... i also use this to travel so less carry on is needed. my 4gig sandisk flash drive dose not work on my vista comp. hopefully sp1 will fix alot of my issues. ive tried EVERYTHING! ahhhh! i want xp on this comp! haha!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks for the link! I'm going to try it now, looks awesome!

Acronis True Image is one example of a program that will do it, I mentioned it because I have used it once before (although I only used the trial). Another one I have heard mentioned is Norton Ghost, but have never used this before.

Interesting with your driver issues and Vista, I've recently built myself a new tower and put Vista on it. I haven't had anything not work *yet*. I've thrown a few things at it now, and the worst I've had was to upgrade the firmware for my Toshiba 2GB flash drive, it was sitting on the Toshiba support website ready to go :) Maybe I'm just lucky, though...

As for an external hard drive, just look for one that's "Vista Certified" or has a "Works With Vista" logo on it... Can't go wrong...

Otherwise grab yourself an internal notebook hard drive (with the same connection as your current drive) and use Acronis or another program to copy the image over :)

Edited by troy, 17 November 2007 - 03:51 PM.