Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will partition recovery software work on a USB external drive?

• Please log in to reply

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi there...

I'm trying to diagnose a hard drive failure and come up with a recovery plan while I'm on the road, so I have some plans to try when I get home.

This is an external USB hard drive. I'm pretty sure it's taken some partition damage as windows recognizes the device in device manager, but doesn't recognize it as a logical drive in my computer, and disk manager shows it as unallocated space.

So, looks like I need to use some partition recovery software. My question is, since this software all seems to be DOS-based : will it work with a USB drive? Or are USB devices only detected by Windows and not the BIOS?

Thanks...

Advertisements

Trash man

Trash man

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
stearmandriver,

Active@ Partition Recovery for Windows will help you if non-system partition is lost, i.e. you can boot Windows, install and run the software from under

Windows Operating System to recover deleted or damaged partitions located on data volumes (D:, E: ...), attached HDDs, as well as on the external

USB drives and Memory Cards (SunDisk, MemoryStick, CompactFlash, etc...). BOOT.INI is corrected automatically (if needed) to keep the system

bootable, as well as damaged Volume Boot Sectors are corrected to mantain integrity of the partition. Software allows also to fix damaged MBR and to

delete invalid partitions.

try here 'http://www.partition-recovery.com/'

Edited by Trash man, 13 November 2007 - 06:59 PM.