Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead LCD

• Please log in to reply

prab

prab

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,
I have an Acer Laptop (Aspire 5102WLMI), and the LCD back light just went out. When I turn on my computer, the right side lights up, but the left side does not. After just a few seconds, the back light turns off, but I can still see what is on the screen (very dim). I have hooked up an external monitor and that works just fine (I am writing this message from the computer). I called Acer and it will be $350 for an new screen or $400 for me to send it in and get fixed. Any suggestions on cheaper/easier ways to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
PRab

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
That may be something as simple as an invertor board. In that case they generally run about $80-$100. The big problem is finding the correct one for you laptop.... you could check around and see if any local shop would be willing to look at it..... You could also try fixing it yourself.... However as you said it could also be the backlight itself and that can be a bit more complicated... From my experience you can't often can't find exact replacements for backlights and have to try using generic ones that match as close as possible the dimensions of the one ( or ones ) you have...

prab

prab

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks,
I managed to kill the external monitor that I was using. I think this is not my week to look at computers. It was sitting in the basement for several years, so it is no surprise it didn't last long. I now have another external monitor that I am using now.

I think I will just get a nice 17 inch LCD and use it like a desktop until I need a new computer or get around to fixing the problem.

Thanks again,
PRab