Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fonts online

• Please log in to reply

mic

mic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi There!
I'm fixin' a website on a .php base and would like to use a non-regular font for the body txt.
In Flash this is no problem, but I've never tried it in php or html. I'm getting bored by that Verdana...
Is it possible to use a font like FRUTIGER (for example) and load it somewhere in the website's database? Is there a sort of typemanager for websites?

Grtz
Mic

Advertisements

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Right not sure about this because im only just learning html but do you know about style sheets or css. Useing these you could use any font that is built into windows for your web page. There might be a way to do it without style sheets I'll have a look for you. By the way i think style sheets would be the quickest way because they allow you to apply the same style to lots of webpages quickly.

All the above knowledge is excluding php because i font know anything about that soz.

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I didn;t quite fully understand your question, but yes there is vaporlock when it comes to using fonts and if yu use a font on your page, then it has to be installed on the viewers computer as well - else the computer substitutes a font that resembles this.

Here is a link that talks a bit more about common fonts. You might wanna check back here while look around and see what i can come up with as far as having a font DB goes

http://www.ampsoft.n...wsMacFonts.html

:tazz:

mic

mic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Allright! thanx for the replies!

" ..then it has to be installed on the viewers computer as well."

That is just what I would like to avoid. I want my font installed in my webpage, so anyone can see that font, even if the haven't installed on their own pc.
Workin' on it for a while now and not sure if it is possible. Is it ???

The style sheet option will not work.

Mic

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ahh, this always seems to crop up ;)

I was working on a website a few years back, and yes, there is a way of doing it using CSS - that is embedding a font in a web-page so that even if the user doesn't have the font, they get it.

I'll edit my post when I find a link on how to do it... I'll have to scan through my CSS book ;)

edit: Found it in Elizabeth Castro's HTML For The WWW [5th edition], page 159. Quote:

To embed fonts on a page:
1. Type @font-face {
2. Type font-family: "name"; where name is the full name of the font that you want to embed.
3. Next, indicate where the embedded font can be found by typing src: url(font.eot), where font.eot is the location of the embedded font on the server.
4. Type } to complete the @font-face rule.
You can repeat this for every font you wish to embed.

To create an .eot file for the font you wish to embed, you have to use the WEFT program which can be downloaded from Microsoft, here. Unfortunately, it appears that this technology only works in MSIE. :tazz:

Hope that helped anyway,
splintax

Edited by splintax, 19 April 2005 - 02:06 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any font not commonly used by a user must be installed in the Web site directory with proper referencing to load.

See : Fonts on Web Sites

Also refer to these pages :

Effective Use of Web Fonts

Setting Fonts for International Use

Recommended Fonts by Micro$oft

Using CSS will present the same problems, if the font you callout on the stylesheet, is still not on the user's PC. Also, users may have overridden your fonts in Preferences in their browsers.

Ron