Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No install disk

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
How can I get an XP CD? I am not asking for illegal things. I legitimatly own a Media Center 2005 XP computer, but Dell never sent me the disk. I have the i386 folder, but beyond that, nothing. How can I perform an XP repair (without erasing the drive), without a CD, or how can I get/make a CD of my own?

*edit*- I just remembered, I have once reformatted my drive (which erased all data, and I don't want to do that). The point is, when I did it, a screen showing norton ghost came up, and it did it for me. Perhaps it is all in the computer on a ghost partition?

Edited by interpolarity, 14 November 2007 - 07:26 AM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello interpolarity,

Your best option in this scenario is contact Dell. They stopped sending installation CDs by default to cut the cost, but you can still request one after purchasing a PC. It may or may not be true, but I've heard they give them for free if you call and ask for one. Otherwise it will be $10 I think, but well worth it. Just have your Service Tag number ready when you call.

Regards,

Ax

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Agreed, Ax238 :)

I have an HP M200Y running MCE, and My mom owned this machine before me. When she received it, it only had the recovery partition on the machine, and my mom was upset that they didn't send the CD's - She called HP and they sent her the CD's for a small nomimal fee - Now, I have the machine, and I am GLAD Mom insisted on this, because if there was some sort of problem with the drive, the recovery partition would be useless :) :)

Interpolarity: Call Dell - they would probably send the disks you need :) (for a small fee)

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 14 November 2007 - 10:26 AM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
thanks for the fast and useful reply. as soon as i call, I will let you know how it went. :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) We'll await your response.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
:) as will I :)