Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Install and Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

JimBlondUK

JimBlondUK

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Great forum, but please help.

Problem started a few days ago, pootah running normal, then started shutting down without warning, began doing this more often as the day wore on.

The following morning, I got the dreaded blue screen with a page fault being reported. Upon reboot, blue screen with 0x0000007b error, unmountable drive.

Have been tryng to sort this out now since. have fe-partitioned, formatted in both ntfs and fat32 but windows get to around 30% then refuses to copy files to hard disk on both winXP and winME.

I have virus scanned using various dos based scanners with nothing found, memory tested...OK, scanned drive with various scanners ie partition magic, chkdsk scandsk etc... all ok.
I got a friend to install the setup on the HD with no problem, but still wouldnt boot from it.
Tried rewriting the MBR and boot sector but no difference.

Have tried a different HD with the same problem.

The drive is recognised when I go into recovery console and a directory read, correct boot files are present but still cannot boot from HD.

The pootah was an OEM install when purchased but the warranty has expired. No hardware has been added or reconfigured apart from the HD.

Having read similar problems, Ive thought about a bios upgrade but surely it wouldnt have worked before if this was needed ?

If it is a virus could it be residing in memory and the memory scan isnt picking it up ?, or could it be hiding in the bios?

Could a virus be hiding in the 8Mb partition that i cannot seem to get at on the end of the HD?

Please remember that I can only treat it with dos based programs at the moment as I dont want to risk putting it into my friends PC as a slave and passing any virii on to his system.

SYSTEM

Time Computers AMD Athlon 2600+
MSI KT4V Motherboard
1024 Mb matched Ram
Amibios

Advertisements

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I had same problem < I got around the copying errors, by disabling bios caching and L1 and L2 caching > it take twice as long to format and setup files but Still works, and when thats done and it restarts you comp go back into your bios and turn On L1 and L2 caching , and instill windows xp and It should work fine and Should install normal

JimBlondUK

JimBlondUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Many Thanks

I'll try that now

JimBlondUK

JimBlondUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just tried totally minimalistic... turned ALL caching off...
At 29% couldnt copy dx8vb.dll then when enter pressed to retry, I've got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA caused by setupdd.sys code 0x00000050

This happens quite often

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Just tried totally minimalistic... turned ALL caching off...
At 29% couldnt copy dx8vb.dll then when enter pressed to retry, I've got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA caused by setupdd.sys code 0x00000050

This happens quite often

View Post

Make sure your windows Disk does not have alot of scratches or any gashes in it. If its perfectly normal , it might Be your hard drive, Cuz I had a problem where I would be copying those files as you were , and the blue screen of death would pop up. Also if you hear any clicking of the hard drive, its usually a problem and you need to try and get someone to repair it or buy a new one ,Or if you still have the reciet and your hard drive has a warranty< you can get it replaced or send it back to the company and they will usually replace. but find out before you send it that you have a proper warranty.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Great forum, but please help.

Problem started a few days ago, pootah running normal, then started shutting down without warning, began doing this more often as the day wore on.

The following morning, I got the dreaded blue screen with a page fault being reported. Upon reboot, blue screen with 0x0000007b error, unmountable drive.

Have been tryng to sort this out now since. have fe-partitioned, formatted in both ntfs and fat32 but windows get to around 30% then refuses to copy files to hard disk on both winXP and winME.

I have virus scanned using various dos based scanners with nothing found, memory tested...OK, scanned drive with various scanners ie partition magic, chkdsk scandsk etc... all ok.
I got a friend to install the setup on the HD with no problem, but still wouldnt boot from it.
Tried rewriting the MBR and boot sector but no difference.

Have tried a different HD with the same problem.

The drive is recognised when I go into recovery console and a directory read, correct boot files are present but still cannot boot from HD.
The pootah was an OEM install when purchased but the warranty has expired. No hardware has been added or reconfigured apart from the HD.
Having read similar problems, Ive thought about a bios upgrade but surely it wouldnt have worked before if this was needed ?

If it is a virus could it be residing in memory and the memory scan isnt picking it up ?, or could it be hiding in the bios?

Could a virus be hiding in the 8Mb partition that i cannot seem to get at on the end of the HD?

Please remember that I can only treat it with dos based programs at the moment as I dont want to risk putting it into my friends PC as a slave and passing any virii on to his system.

SYSTEM

Time Computers AMD Athlon 2600+
MSI KT4V Motherboard
1024 Mb matched Ram
Amibios

View Post

Jim < would your computer run fine then all of a sudden Freeze and you can do nothing not even move the mouse and you usually have to restart and you get this "unmountable boot''?

JimBlondUK

JimBlondUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Jim < would your computer run fine then all of a sudden Freeze and you can do nothing not even move the mouse and you usually have to restart and you get this "unmountable boot''?

View Post

No, it started by just using windows normally, then as if the power had been cut, it would reboot, no warning, no messages, leaving me with no patience :mad:

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok does it load windows or does it stop right before it loads? like it says it loading then beep it restartS?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey there

this i9snt a problem i can recall encountering but have u changed ide cables etc, also i know it goes against logic but try setting it up so the hdd is on ide port 2 see if that makes a differance ive seen some strange things be cured that way.

james

JimBlondUK

JimBlondUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help so far guys,

I cant even get any version of windows to load onto the HD to try booting. When copying the files to HD, it stalls with various blue screens (page faults, unmountable drive etc) at around 30%. I've even tried partitioning the drive and installing in both partitions with the same errors.

The WinXP boot disk I found from one of the posts has enabled me to get the HD to boot but with no OS on board, it helps but not that much.

Last night I tried a copy of Knoppix which loaded without problem, but that was from CD....

I dont mind replacing parts..HD, Memory etc but I need to know which parts to replace.

Arrrrrggghhhhhh

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
are u able to conferm that the ide cables work 100% also as i said preveously try messing around with the differant channells.

JimBlondUK

JimBlondUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
At last a little progress... I removed 512mb of ram and ive managed to get windows installed. 10 mins after finishing the instal I got the blue screen of death again (unmountable drive 0x0ed) used recovery console and rebuild the boot sector and everything seems fine now.

I'm still getting a few little problems but at least now I can run software and get to the root of the problems.

Many thanks to all for your help.