Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

p2p, limewire be careful

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

One man pleaded guilty last week to stealing tax forms, credit reports, and loan applications from more than 50 people, through the file-sharing program LimeWire. He then used the info to open credit accounts in those people's names, the usual form that identity theft takes

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/58727

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
:) I'm not sure who got owned worse, the "innocent" people using P2P or the guy himself :) This is why we don't condone P2P here at GTG :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Limewire is the worst P2P program there is, it's swarming with viruses more than any other program... Of course, all P2P programs have viruses, but still, I haven't heard of a more notorious program....

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
But on a P2P program you have to define a folder to target files that you want to share in, the default one is what you download your items into, unless modifed obviously.

Unfourtunatly i use Limewire... I dont share any of my files... I dont keep records of stuff i find personal( Lol im 16 so i dont really need to store bank stuff on my computer... :)) on this computer, i have a laptop for that (Which doesnt have limewire.)

But yeah, am i still open to intrusion do you think, i changed settings so it is downloading into a folder i specified and sharing from the default folder which is/never will be used.

I think im pretty safe?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If you are using P2P, then you aren't safe.

Any questions?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

But on a P2P program you have to define a folder to target files that you want to share in, the default one is what you download your items into, unless modifed obviously.

Unfourtunatly i use Limewire... I dont share any of my files... I dont keep records of stuff i find personal( Lol im 16 so i dont really need to store bank stuff on my computer... :)) on this computer, i have a laptop for that (Which doesnt have limewire.)

But yeah, am i still open to intrusion do you think, i changed settings so it is downloading into a folder i specified and sharing from the default folder which is/never will be used.

I think im pretty safe?

Your going to learn a lot in geeku, I can tell you that right now.
Don thank you for the article, this is exactly what I needed to prove to my parents that Limewire shouldn't touch our computer (brother downloads it, I uninstall it on a weekly bases)
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 December 2007 - 08:40 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
OMG!! now I know what to do when dealing with P2P.. :) It is unsafe!! :)

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

And you know Exactly what your downloading the file says one thing but is something entirely different when you run it.

Trust me when I want to infect my test machine limewire is the place I go well there are other but I can't mention them here

Your welcome James :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
With all of the legal problems involved with sharing I wonder if Limewire is even legal to use. Guess I am not trusting enough to open up my machine to someone I do not even know.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

This is why we don't condone P2P here at GTG :)

This is actually one of the reasons :)

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

With all of the legal problems involved with sharing I wonder if Limewire is even legal to use. Guess I am not trusting enough to open up my machine to someone I do not even know.

It is legal, since it's basically a protocol, like BitTorrent. A lot of legal files are shared in BitTorrent, for example. It's not the same with LimeWire though - that's true.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
A friend of mine is the bass quitarest for AC\DC so I am against the ILLEGAL sharing because that is stealing from my friend. limewire itself is just a bad way to go . I hear about a lot of infections from people who use limewire.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
:)

Your friend is the bass guitarists in AC/DC? Wow! That's neat :) I love AC/DC. I buy their albums (yes, buy :))

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
YES, CLIFF WILLIAMS LIVES IN FT. MYERS FL (MY OLD HOME TOWN (AND ABOUT 4 OTHER PLACES)) MY WIFES MOTHER HAS BEEN HIS ACCOUNTANT FOR 15\16 YEARS. IF YOU MET CLIFF YOU WOULD NEVER GUESS THAT HE IS A WORLD FAMOUS ROCK STAR. HE IS VERY NICE AND DOWN TO EARTH AS IS GEORGIAN HIS WIFE. HE GAVE ME AN AUTOGRAPHED GUATAR BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE IT (MY FAT FINGERS KEEP HITTING TOO MANY STRINGS) WE HAVE NOT SEEN THEM SINCE WE MOVED TO KY BUT HE JUST SENT ME A DVD FOR CHRISTMAS SO THAT IS COOL

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

YES, CLIFF WILLIAMS LIVES IN FT. MYERS FL (MY OLD HOME TOWN (AND ABOUT 4 OTHER PLACES)) MY WIFES MOTHER HAS BEEN HIS ACCOUNTANT FOR 15\16 YEARS. IF YOU MET CLIFF YOU WOULD NEVER GUESS THAT HE IS A WORLD FAMOUS ROCK STAR. HE IS VERY NICE AND DOWN TO EARTH AS IS GEORGIAN HIS WIFE. HE GAVE ME AN AUTOGRAPHED GUATAR BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE IT (MY FAT FINGERS KEEP HITTING TOO MANY STRINGS) WE HAVE NOT SEEN THEM SINCE WE MOVED TO KY BUT HE JUST SENT ME A DVD FOR CHRISTMAS SO THAT IS COOL

Please avoid using caps. Caps signify yelling on forums and area pain to read.
James