Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

p2p, limewire be careful

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
It's nice to have such friends :)

Advertisements

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Eep, my post didnt go to well.

Back on subject though, Yeh they say it is legal since you can share your files with people, like you can upload pictures of your holiday so your family can search and download them, but then people upload the other things aswell. There ay go :)

Yeah i wouldn't recommend people use it since it is all like 99% illegal lol, jsut teh above statements keeps them legitally going.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Yeh they say it is legal since you can share your files with people, like you can upload pictures of your holiday so your family can search and download them, but then people upload the other things aswell. There ay go

Your justifying its use now by saying to have family members install it and search for photos you upload ?

There are safer alternatives there is really no justifying its use plain and simple, using it 99.9999% of the time spells nothing but trouble and the next stop will be the malware forum to get the machine clean and hopefully its security wasn't compromised

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Yeh they say it is legal since you can share your files with people, like you can upload pictures of your holiday so your family can search and download them, but then people upload the other things aswell. There ay go

Your justifying its use now by saying to have family members install it and search for photos you upload ?

There are safer alternatives there is really no justifying its use plain and simple, using it 99.9999% of the time spells nothing but trouble and the next stop will be the malware forum to get the machine clean and hopefully its security wasn't compromised

Agree with You Don77 - Also, If there are photos I want to share there are other ways besides using any P2P Application

1. Email the photos as attachments to an email
2. Use FTP/SFTP to upload the photos to the home directory of your ISP account, then send Email with the links of the photos you wish to send to your family

3. Upload photos to a webpage and then have them right click and download them from your site.

4. Gather all your photos you wish to send, use your favorite Archiver program (winzip, etc) to zip them up and then send a link with the name of the zip file to the user via email.

Each of these 4 alternatives are safer and more advantagous then to download P2P Apps to share photos - If Don, or any other Geek University Mod tells you that:

using it 99.9999% of the time spells nothing but trouble and the next stop will be the malware forum to get the machine clean and hopefully its security wasn't compromised

Believe Him - I had used P2P for awhile, until I learned what kinds of junk and Malware you can get - I don't do that at all anymore, and I strongly advise anyone thinking of using it to reconsider :)

Take Care all :)

Brian

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Oh no, im not trying to advertise it or anything im just saying that is how they manage to keep themselves legal lol :)

I am very musical and i only use it becuase you cant buy certain songs or instrumentals and so on, seems like they are only downloadble by p2p programs.

This is especially true when you can only buy certian songs on vinyl and, instead of buying decks to connect to a computer and then get recording equipment to get it on the computer and then buy software to convert it into WMA or whatever format.

And im still not trying to get people to use it lol :) dont take it the wrong way, i hardley use it but when i do it is for that reason. So im not even taking artists property becuase they wern't intending to release it anyway.

EDIT:Typos...

Edited by Alex_McIntosh, 26 December 2007 - 07:42 AM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
We could go round and round on this for ever and I m not looking to pick on you just discussing and informing folks why they shouldn't use it. In 2 different replies you have given 2 different reasons why you use it.
Downloading music ? I would be willing to wager 99.999999 of it is bootlegged so you are not getting music a group that they haven't got out on CD or Vinyl and again the nice guys that upload this "music" will drop a little something extra in it for you.

o im not even taking artists property becuase they wern't intending to release it anyway.

I m not even touching that

Oh no, im not trying to advertise it or anything im just saying that is how they manage to keep themselves legal lol

Your missing the point entirely I never said that limewire was illegal p2p programs for the most part are not but some of them when you download them add fancy gadgets on your system with out you knowing it. You may think the program is free but guess again.
There is a reason why it said if it looks to good to be true

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Yeh lol, dont worry :)

I know what you mean and i back it up, but i just am doing this for a while, heck, i'll get practice getting rid of viruses lol :)

Anyway mate, i know what you mean, ill shut up now :)

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I downloaded Bittorrent the other day, but deleted it because I couldn't find a way to stop it from using bandwith, but I'm thinking about downloading it later in a few days from now, but now I'm not sure if I do want to or not.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

I downloaded Bittorrent the other day, but deleted it because I couldn't find a way to stop it from using bandwith, but I'm thinking about downloading it later in a few days from now, but now I'm not sure if I do want to or not.

I wouldn't, or you'll be infected with garbage and you will probably be following a Malware experts advice on how to remove trojans and all that bad stuff - This is why I stay AWAY from such things, and why ScHwErV says that if you are using things like limewire or other P2P apps, you are NOT safe......

Brian
GeekU Junior

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Lets look at it like driving a car 100 MPH. Your car may have all of the safety features, you do not think you will crash, you will get legal problems if caught but you do not worry about that.
I can not pay the fines, my safety features will not stop me from crashing, a crash is going to hurt! so I do not drive 100 MPH

Advertisements

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've downloaded some movies from Bittorent for free since they offer free movies to download, should I watch them or just delete them from my laptop???

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I've downloaded some movies from Bittorent for free since they offer free movies to download, should I watch them or just delete them from my laptop???

Based on what you read here its up to you. Are they infected ? don't know, could they be infected ? yes.
its your machine you run the risk of trashing it.

The intent of this topic is to show the effects of using p2p programs. We don't provide support for p2p programs unless its removing them.

M477h3w700142y

M477h3w700142y

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Based on what you read here its up to you. Are they infected ? don't know, could they be infected ? yes.
its your machine you run the risk of trashing it.

The intent of this topic is to show the effects of using p2p programs. We don't provide support for p2p programs unless its removing them.

I'm going to go ahead and just delete them from my laptop, just to be on the safe side.

Spoiler

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:)

This topic is closed. Here at GeeksToGo, we dont' encourage the use of any P2P program, or BitTorrent. The original intention of this topic was excellent, helping to warn others against the dangers. However, it has unfortunately spun off into members openly admitting to using these programs, and others... and arguing about the legality of such. This is what we cannot allow, so the topic must now come to an end.

Thank you