Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Drive Not Recognized!

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay so this is the worst time to have this problem. I just bought Crysis and when I got home my CD drive isn't coming up under my computer. I checked all the connections and there fine but I'll check again. And I'm running Vista. Please help.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Drumbum667,

Are there any devices in the device manager that have a X or a (!)? This would usually be an indication that the computer recognizes the drive but has a problem.

Ax

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Drumbum667...

You might also check to see if there are filters set on the drive.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I fixed it. I deleted the Filters. But now everytime I boot it says locate and isntall driver for this device and when I do it never finds anything but the drive still works.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver from device manager, otherwise try getting a driver update.