Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bearshare

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
whenever i startup bearshare i get a message

bearshare has encountered a problem and needs to close

and it immediately shuts down, what can i do??

ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it wont work

Advertisements

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Is this Bearshare "free" or the paid version? If it's the free version and you removed the spyware it installed it will cease to operate. Also you will see this error if you have "Data-Execution-Protection" turned on for all applications in XP (You can make exclusions but i wouldn't recommend it for any P2P program clean or dirty)

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.

Hear is a good list of P2P clients that install spyware and a list of clean ones.
http://www.spywarein...m/articles/p2p/

Edited by Salient, 18 April 2005 - 10:58 AM.

AB_Neg

AB_Neg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Pinnacle Studio and the same thing happens. I did go in tell it to except Pinnacle under System>Data Execution Prevention (DEP) section, but it still does it.
Any advice?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sorry, but the discussion of P2P programs has been declared "off limits" at G2G..

Therefore, this thread is now "CLOSED"..

Thank you for your cooperation!!

Murray