Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with AIM

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I've been using AOL Instant Messenger for years, however it has recently been nothing but a pain.

A few weeks ago, some strange stuff started happening while I was talking to friends.
- After about 10 to 15 minutes, any images, including smileys and advertisements, were replaced with plain white boxes with a small red X in the corner.
- When someone started an IM session with me, the box would pop up but I could not see any text in it. I also could not click inside the text box to type anything. This happened when people would IM me, and when I tried to start a new IM session, but only after a couple of minutes of using AIM.
- Whenever I tried to open a settings box, a buddy info window...etc, the box that came up would be corrupt, meaning I could see the outline, but it only displayed a distorted rendition of what was behind it (IE my background), and got worse when I tried to drag it.

All of these problems can be temporarily resolved by exiting AIM completely and relaunching it, but I am always doomed to suffer the same fate after about 10 minutes.

I tried downgrading to the version of AIM just before AIM Triton was released, and it seemed to work better, however the issue with people IMing me (see bullet #2 above), still happened after about 10 minutes of chatting.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing several times, but nothing works, and I'm going crazy. How the heck can I solve this problem? What's wrong with my computer?

Advertisements