Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can a Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 overclock to 3.0

• Please log in to reply

chancy4342

chancy4342

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Does anyone now if i could overclock a Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 to 3.0 GHz or higher and keep it stable

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should check out Tom's Hardware. They have taken the 6750 to 3.2ghz with a 120mm Zalman cooler and a little over 4.0ghz with water cooling. Your answer is yes, it can be overclocked to be faster than the 6850.

This is of course dependant on many things such as your CPU cooler, motherboard cooling system, and RAM speed and cooling. Also some board's BIOS options only allow you to push it so far.

Edit: I dug up the articles for you.

Extreme FSB: Taking the E6750 Beyond 4 GHz
Overclocking: Dual- vs. Quad-Core CPUs

Edited by Titan8990, 15 November 2007 - 03:09 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I think the reccord for the E6750 is 5.0GHz with useing liquid nitrogen to cool it. But even regular stock cooling will allow you to overclock pretty far. I think some people are getting a 150% overclock with stock cooling.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I own that processor, and I run it at 3.2ghz 24/7. It's at that speed on stock cooling (now I use a aftermarket HSF, but it can do it with stock is my point) and below stock voltage. I've been able to get it up to 3.6ghz with no problem, but had to raise the voltage quite a bit. I think I could probably get 4ghz, but I would have to really up the voltage, and under load it might get too hot...

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
can anyone give me a link to a mobo that would be able to get at least 3.0GHz out of this proc.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I would think that almost any mobo with overclocking capabilities could reach 3ghz easily. Personally, I use the EVGA 680i A1 revision.

On a related note, after getting some ideas from reading one of the reviews posted by Titan, I discovered I could do 3.3ghz at the same voltage as 3.2ghz, and do 3.4ghz by raising the voltage up to stock. So really, this is a very good CPU for overclocking.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Remeber that overclocking is like a lottery, not all chips will overclock as well as others.
Some are more energy hungry (require more volts), and as you up your volts you increase your heatoutput which will eventually result in an unstable overclock. So take this into consideration, I just don't want your hopes to get to high to find that you may have gotten a poorer chip then one like stettybet's.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 November 2007 - 09:58 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What James said is true, but most posts and reviews I've read about overclocking the E6750 seem to suggest that it should definitely be able to reach 3ghz. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah, 3GHz should be achievable on any E6750 chip, once you exceed the 3.2-3.3GHz range, thats when you begin to see larger differences between a better and a worse chip.
As long as you avoid EC, you should be able to overclock on virtually any board. Give us your budget and we'll be able to better assist you.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 November 2007 - 03:40 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Yeah, 3GHz should be achievable on any chip.
James

Not on the Z80 in my Game Boy... :)

:)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Fixed :)
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Whew! Thought there was something wrong with my Game Boy for a minute there. :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The THG guide CPUs are sent to THG specifically for the purpose of the review. I am thinking they are alway going to have the best OCers to work with. Something else to keep in mind if you are reading through the articles.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The THG guide CPUs are sent to THG specifically for the purpose of the review. I am thinking they are alway going to have the best OCers to work with. Something else to keep in mind if you are reading through the articles.

Not necessarily, keep in mind though that many of the tests done by these review sites are don't without the side panel on or else in a case with no side panels whatsoever to improve airflow.

Another thing to know is that THG did sell to an unnamed person back in May, since then the site has become increasingly bias towards Intel and other companies.

James