Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noise removal in audio track of avi?

• Please log in to reply

schigara

schigara

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys. I just found this site and from what I have seen, it's excellent!

Anyways, I'd like to start off by introducing myself. My name is David and I live Memphis, Tn.

My question concerns strictly audio editing. My uncle, who is certified SFST instructor and expert DUI witness, brought me an avi video that a lawyer sent him to analyze. The video wouldn't play on his pc because he didnt have the correct codec. I converted the file and put it on a dvd.

The audio is pretty bad mainly a constant buzzing sound making it very difficult to hear what the officers and the suspect are saying. I have Soundforge 7 and have played with it a little. Is there a way to isolate and remove the buzzing sound?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
This is what I do for sound editing on a video file. I'm sure there's a better way, but this works.

I put the file through Super and make a simple mp3 file.
I run the mp3 file through Audacity.
- Basically in Audacity, you select a section of the audio that is supposed to be silent (i.e. only the buzzing is heard) and Select Noise Removal>Get Profile
- Then once I have the audio profile for the noise, I select the entire clip and go back to noise removal and play with the preview slider before I remove the noise from the clip.
- Now you will want to Normalize the clip so the low volumes will be brought up and the extreme high volumes will be brought down.

I put the video file and audio file into windows video maker and make sure i select to mute the video's audio. Otherwise you will get two audio tracks playing and we just can't have that! :)

From windows video maker, Save movie file and it is a wmv. I personally don't like wmv so I put it through Super again and make myself an avi.

Let me know if you need help with this I can be more detailed if you're interested.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You need to find the codec then? Is it using SkidVid codec or Xvid? If it's either then you'll need to go to the website to download the codec pack.

Simply burning it onto a DVD would not work as not all DVD players have ALL codecs. I suggest you to find the name of the codec, then download the codec pack from the website.

~Kelvin