Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP Home Repair Install Problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off, thanks for all the help in advance.

Here is a brief (somewhat) overview of my problem.

My brother's motherboard was dying, so I removed his hard drive, cloned it, and put the clone into an older machine I had (I wanted to keep his original HDD intact in case something went wrong). I attempted to do a repair install of XP Home SP2 on his HDD so that it would work in the new machine. The process seems to go smoothly until the reboot. At that time I am presented with the same setup window as the initial repair. I am eventually confronted by a screen stating, "Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation." I am a bit confused as to what to try next. I have done this type of procedure before but have never had this problem.

Unfortunately his machine was an Emachine, so it only had a system restore disk. I managed to come into possession of another XP Home SP2 OEM disk, which I tried unsuccessfully, giving me the fore mentioned problem. I then edited the PDI in the setupp.ini file from the OEM (55277OEM) disk to one of a retail (55277000) disk. Still no luck.

I want to avoid a clean install at all costs. I have already backed everything up, but do not want to have to go to the hassle of reinstalling every program again.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do won't work along with violating Microsoft's EULA.

That OEM cd and key code is married to the Emachines system it was installed on and came with.

It cannot be used on any other systemeven if the Emachine is no longer serviceable.

Your option now is to purchase a new retail version of XP and use that to do the repair.