Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts during boot over and over again.

• Please log in to reply

Indosia

Indosia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time I try to boot it restarts during the windows xp splash screen. It will not go into safe mode either. I've tried swapping the hard drive, power supply, video card, memory, and even the case. It does same thing. Must be bad CPU or Motherboard right? It's an old Athlon 64 3200(socket 754) +Asus board. Any help would be great. Thanks Joe

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
What kind of computer is it? Did you build it yourself or purchase it? If it is still in warranty, call their Technical Support line and you'll recieve much better results.

Do you get any kind of error message? Does any blue screen flash on the screen before reboot?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to CTH:

Do you have your XP install cd handy?

If so, you will need to use it to run a chkdsk /r command through the Recovery Console.

Holler back if you need to be stepped through the process.

Murray

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you mean by "swapped the hard drive"? Did you remove the operating system carrying disk C from the computer and installed another disk? Did you just move C to another IDE connection? Did you perform repair installation on the new disk or did you format and clean installed?

The problem you have can be the result of almost anything, software or hardware. In most cases this problem is related to corrupted windows and can be fixed without any hardware replacement. That's why I ask about the HD. It would be easier if we knew what happened with the C drive (I assume that C had the operating system installed on it. This is not necessarilly true but is most often the case)