Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

do i need to upgrade to xp?

• Please log in to reply

seemingly innocent

seemingly innocent

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer is quite old and every time i try to connect anything to it like my digital camera or a card reader or any thing it comes up with a message to put in my windows disc which i do not have. I have installed the drivers for these items it says new hardware detected but it never successfully connects. The most recent one I tried installing my new phone software and it said -The operating system is not adequate fo sony ericsson PC suite- so i was unable to connect the phone. Please can I get some advice preferably in plain english excluding the jargon if poss? Also how much wuld it cost to fix this problem. I am in UK.

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

My computer is quite old and every time i try to connect anything to it like my digital camera or a card reader or any thing it comes up with a message to put in my windows disc which i do not have. I have installed the drivers for these items it says new hardware detected but it never successfully connects. The most recent one I tried installing my new phone software and it said -The operating system is not adequate fo sony ericsson PC suite- so i was unable to connect the phone. Please can I get some advice preferably in plain english excluding the jargon if poss? Also how much wuld it cost to fix this problem. I am in UK.

The answer to this question is basically yes - The reason for this is that if you are running a computer that is "quite old" and you try to connect hardware devices that are newer, you will run into this problem. You don't specify the specs of the computer as far as memory, hard drive space, etc, but if you are running Windows 98, it is recommended that you upgrade to XP. This is because 98 is no longer supported and is obsolete.

That being said, my suggestion is to upgrade your machine first this is because most machines come with the software installed, and the most current OS is Windows Vista, but if you can get a machine with XP, go for it - Home version UPGRADE cost $99USD and Pro UPGRADE is about $220 USD (I just bought pro 2 months ago for 1 of my HP's so that is an approximation of what I paid for it) (Full version is close to $300 USD I think - may be wrong)

The idea here is that the older the machine and the OS, the less likely that it will be supported, and without knowing the specs of your machine, it is hard to say what you should upgrade to, but an upgrade is probably your best bet :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 15 November 2007 - 07:51 AM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi seemingly innocent,

By now, there are only about 10% of machines worldwide running Windows 95/98/98SE*Doug Those Operating Systems are no longer "supported" with updates from Microsoft.
Publishers of Application and Security software are writing for Windows 2000, NT, 2003, XP, and Vista
Builders of Hardware are building for the same newer operating systems.

So it is "tough" to install new items, either software or hardware, on an older machine running an older Windows version.

Your machine may or may not be a good candidate for upgrade to XP, because the system requirements are much more demanding in XP than in earlier Windows version. (most notably, XP is hungry for RAM)

Upgrading to XP "may" extend the usable life of your current machine.
But cost-benefit considerations may argue for a new machine.

You can get a very good "overview" of your system's hardware, operating system, peripherals, and installed software by running the PCPitstop Full Tests. You can even post a link to your Full Tests Results, back here into this Forum thread for us to have a look.
We'd then be able to give you more informed recommendations. :)

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Best Regards

seemingly innocent

seemingly innocent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran the tests on my PC at home but I cant get on to this website at home cos as soon as I click on to this site my computer crashes. Every single time i did it over the weekend it went within 3 seconds. So I had to end task. Which I normally have to do a few times a day anyway.

I'm thinking of getting a new system altogether.
What do you think of this system if i bought it.Is it good?--

Power Cracker Tower System (Samsung CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive, AMD Sempron64 3400+ Socket AM2, 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive Black, built-in nVidia GeForce 6100 graphics, Samsung 80GB Serial ATA II 8MB cache, Kingston 1GB DDR2 667 PC2-5300 240-pin, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM, built-in audio) £259.85

Black and Silver ATX midi Tower case
400W PSU
2 front USB2.0, mic and out audio ports
4 front 5.25" bays
2 front 3.5" bays
Chassis Dimension (WxHxD): 190x410x450 (7.5"x16.1"x17.7")
Motherboard: Asus M2N-MX Socket AM2
chipset: nVidia GeForce 6100 + nForce 430
4x DIMM sockets, max. 4GB DDR2 800/667/533, Dual Channel Architecture
4x USB2 rear ports
1 PCIX x16, 1 PCIX x1 and 2 PCI slots
6-channel audio
1x IDE ATA-133
4x 3Gb/s SATA with RAID 0/1/0+1/5
built-in 10/100/1000 LAN
Integrated nVidia GeForce 6100 3D graphics (up to 128MB)
1x PS/2 Mouse; 1x PS/2 Keyboard; 1x Serial; 1x Parallel
AMD Sempron64 3400+ CPU, with heatsink and fan
Kingston 512MB DDR2 667 PC2-5300 240-pin
80GB SATA II Hard Drive
Samsung CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Default case dimensions: W 187mm 7" 3/8 - D 432mm 17" - H 432mm 17"
2 Years Parts and Labour Warranty (Return To Base - free collect and return)

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi seemingly innocent,

Any chance that this is the machine you are looking at?
http://www.powerc.co...95147657-4033//

If so, it looks like a bare-bones offering with much room for expansion. (Bare-bones doesn't mean bad, just means minimal components with plenty of room for expansion)

I'm skeptical about the featured offer (if that is the one you are looking at) for a few reasons:

1. It is not clear which features are included, and which are available at additional expense.
2. Not even clear if the price includes XP Home, or if that would be an additional expense. Do you know?
3. While the hardware features would no doubt be an improvement over your "very old" computer, some of the offered hardware is pre-2005 vintage and already replaced on entry level machines today.
4. Many of the "expansion" options are attractive to a "gamer" type use (though dated) but would be of little use to a moderate, office type user.
5. I'm "unclear" about the "PCIX - 16" slot feature. I've consulted and also done a bit of research myself on the designation. Current slots are "PCIe - 16" and video card makers are building specifically for that architecture.
I'd need further clarification as to whether "PCIX" was actually referring to "PCIe" I'll post back when/if I get more information.
6. The video adapter device offered is "onboard", meaning that it will "borrow" anywhere from 32mb, up to maybe 128mb of your installed RAM to power graphics rendering. This could slow your machine down considerably and or make it awkward when having several applications open at the same time.

The machine will be a pleasant improvement over what you may be running now, and is likely to be quite serviceable for moderate computing use.
My main thought is that you may do better with a low-end HP with 2gb RAM running Vista.
You would be good to go for the next 3-5 or more years with such a system, whereas, the featured system has some limitations that may require update to remain competative into a similar time frame.

I'm not much of a hardware guy, and these are just my opinions.
Other more knowledgeable members may drop by with more familiar understanding of the machine, and better recommendations.
If we don't get additional review/recommendations, it might be well to move this over to a Hardware Forum.
I'll watch and assist with the move, as necessary.

Best Regards

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
A more knowledgeable colleague here at G2G tells me that "PCIX" often represents PCIe as a generic reference.
Not sure which "version" it is though probably PCIe 1.a. (That's still a good thing)

Also, while there is a possibility the user is talking about the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X
It's obsolete now and I haven't seen it on the market. This is parly due to it's limitations. The fact that here placed "16" there more or less guarrentees that (s)he is talking about PCI express.

The same more knowing colleague cautions me to not describe the offered hardware as "dated" since there are only about 3 iterations with more advanced architecture.

Near the bottom of that display page....
This is what concerns me about additional costs:

Floppy Disk Drive, Monitor and Operating System
Software (i.e. Windows) not
included as standard

Please note: Since you haven't had a chance to post back yet, there is know way of knowing whether or not the system which you are considering is the same as that which I have been investigating.

Hope this helps anyway.

Best Regards

Edited by Doug, 19 November 2007 - 04:33 PM.

seemingly innocent

seemingly innocent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes it is the same one but i added on xp and floppy etc and then recalculated the price.

Could you possibly find a reasonably good system for me? I would really appreciate it. Also is there anywhere that does interest free credit on PCs?

What abou this one?
http://direct.tesco......Sort.y=7.aspx

Edited by seemingly innocent, 20 November 2007 - 07:47 AM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi seemingly innocent,

As much as the geek in me loves to go shopping for new equipment, I'm not sure I can help much here.

Couple of reasons:
Purchasing a machine is "your" choice.
Even a low-end-to-moderate machine is a serious investment.
You may have to live with the outcome for a long time.

This forum is a user-help resource, and not a buying guide promotional site.
We don't have the ability to buy and review machines, nor the facility to test and rate them.
So any "recommendation" would be the "opinion" of the Member.
It would be a violation of our Terms of Use TOU (commercial solicitation and spam) for a Member to attempt to direct the purchasing selection of another member.

I realize that purchasing a new machine, from the many, many options available, can be a daunting experience.
I realize that a prospective buyer would want and hope to receive good recommendations from neutral sources.

With that said, I'll speak with others here to see if there are "general guidelines" that we may be able to offer.

Best Regards

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi again,

Best course of action would be to contact a reputable computer shop, either small shop or big company.
Tell them EXACTLY what you want to be able to do with your new computer.
They'll build it for you.

Here in the US, we could contact Dell, or HP, or Acer, or a small shop, and have them "virtually" assemble a few selections with various features to meet the users expected needs. We would then get an assortment of online printable offerings to read and consider.

For price and buying comparisons, I'd ask the exact same questions of a few reputable companies and compare what they have to offer.

When you finally do buy, you will have dealt directly with the folks that will be standing behind your new product in the event of future needs for repair, replacement and/or upgrade.

Best Regards

seemingly innocent

seemingly innocent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you. I will have an ask around. I appreciate your help.