Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Will Not Bootup

• Please log in to reply

rc0213

rc0213

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a laptop, Dell Lattitude C640 which has a bad battery, so I have to keep it plugged it Well, this morning, it booted up fine, and while I was surfing the web, it just shut down abruptly. I tried many times turning it back on, but it just shuts down right away, no window screens or anything. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Advertisements

Mentalist

Mentalist

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
do the lights flash, even briefly when you press the power switch on the laptop??

rc0213

rc0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, the lights come on for a sec.

Mentalist

Mentalist

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
the lights normally come on( flash ) when the battery is dead.. to show that there is not enough power to boot up. there could be a possibility of not having the power supply in properly, but i assume your not tht silly.. or the fact that the power has died.. do you have a transformer( a block with a light on half way on your cable) is so does the light on this light up?? if not then check the power switch, try a different outlet.. if nothing still just say.. remmeber some times you may need to give few minutes of charging before you can actually power on, even by the power cable.

rc0213

rc0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The power cord has a transformer box with a light on it, and yes, it is lit up. I brought the laptop to work and have let it sit with the power cord plugged in all morning. And, it still just runs for a few seconds with no screens and then shuts down.

Mentalist

Mentalist

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
on that note, im not too experienced on the problem. you could have a virus of some kind.. meaning you need to format.... or it ould be your cmos on the mobo or your laptop

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curiousity here, take out the battery, plug the computer into the wall and turn on the computer, perhaps it's that powermanagement is confused

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curiousity here, take out the battery, plug the computer into the wall and turn on the computer, perhaps it's that powermanagement is confused and this often jumps it back in order

Edited by fleamailman, 15 November 2007 - 01:28 PM.

rc0213

rc0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know why, but I turned on the computer and it booted all the way up. I did pull the battery out. Thank you all for your help! You are all great to help.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
If the computer boots without the battery and not with it, it could be the battery is bad... if it boots after the battery was taken out and then replaced it may be the machine just needed to be reset ( ie no power....

rc0213

rc0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That makes sense, too. I think, also, the laptop was left in the car outside when it was fairly cold last night, (about 30 degree F) and it needed to be thawed out before it started. I usually don't keep computers in the car, just forgot. But, these suggestions were great!