Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Service pack 2 Pro onto XP Home edition

• Please log in to reply

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi guys! Hope you can help. Recently I was given a computer that I decided to clean up for my Mom for Xmas. This computer ran Windows XP Home edition. After uninstalling alot of programs, I ran disk clean up, disk defrag, and installed Tune up utilities to clean up the mess left behind. Ran awesome! Also installed another 256 ram and a modem. Then I installed AOL. The guy who gave me the computer decided he needed to look it over and make sure all his information and files was out of the computer so he took it back.

Since my plan was to Update the computer to XP pro, I gave him my XP Pro disk and service pack 2 disk to install for me. He installed only the service pack 2 (pro edition) and returned the computer which seemed to be working fine so I didn't worry about it.

Later, I installed Majohng and since the computer seemed to be running well, I sent it home with my Mom and said Merry Christmas!

Now that my Mom has it at her house 200 miles away, the computer has been freezing, and she forces shutdown. When the computer starts back up, it said that Windows cannot start because of recent hardware or software changes. I had her try Last known good config, and then system restore, but neither worked. I had her uninstall the Service pack 2 , but now Windows will load up and then lock up immediately. It also says that it is running Windows XP Pro.

What can I do?? Can I just update or repair the installation using the XP Pro disk? I do not have a Windows XP Home disk! Help!!!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Since my plan was to Update the computer to XP pro, I gave him my XP Pro disk and service pack 2 disk to install for me.

Howdy:

Gotta ask but, did this XP cd come with another system and are you using it now?

Murray

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi GoKarGo,

Very hard to tell what may be going on, since the possible "changes" may have occurred at either of two points when the computer was out of your sight and control.
1. When the original user reclaimed possession temporarily and installed "some" software.
2. During the time your Mother has had the machine.

There is some contradictory information in the course of your description.
--Windows XP Home - does not suddenly become XP Pro, simply with the installation of SP2.
--The source of the XP Pro + SP2 CD needs to be questioned even if both came from you.
----If the XP Pro Operating System (OS) has already been installed and activated on a previous machine, problems can happen
--A single licensed copy of XP Pro can be used on one machine only.
--The Microsoft CD of SP2 is appropriate to use on either Home or Pro OS and will not change the OS from Home to Pro
--Even the downloadable SP2 can be burnt to CD and used to update Home or Pro.
--Having your Mother uninstall SP2 should have neither helped nor hurt the situation, though you'll want to get that machine back to running with SP2 and all the critical updates and patches as soon as possible for security reasons.
__________________-

You didn't mention AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection, so it is "possible" that some bad-guy has infected the machine since it has been in your Mother's possession. (freezing due to new software or hardware installation could be malware)

Seems like you will be having a chance to visit your Mother, since it will be difficult to assist you in further helping her without direct and firm information about what is happening with the machine. (for instance, specific/exact Error Codes)

Yes, if you XP Pro CD is legimate, not installed on another machine, and not an OEM version, you should be able for get the machine running with a Repair Installation or a format and Full installation.
If the XP Pro CD is from a no longer used, store-bought branded machine, it will very likely "not" work for this different machine now in your Mother's possession.

Sorry you plan to do something nice for your Mother has turned into a headache for her and a disappointment for you.

Let us know if you have any additional specific information about the machine's condition.
There "might" be specific procedures that can be pursued.
But "Most Likely", you'll be better off with a fresh OS installation.

Here's a link to the well-regarded Fred Langa's Non-Destructive Total Repair Rebuild of Windows:
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

The above link may turn out to be "just interesting reading" in your situation, as a format-reinstall may be much more direct for you.

When you perform a Format and fresh Installation, remember to take all of the following steps, in order:

Presuming you have Windows Installation media (legit CD's with product ID Key that can be activated)
Format HD

then Install:
--Operating System
--DirectX 9.0c
--Chipset Drivers (specific to the machine)
--JAVA Runtime Environment
--Install SP2 if not included in the initial Windows installation

Defrag the Hard Drive at this point

--Install any additional PCI/peripheral Drivers
--Install any peripheral hardware (printer/scanner/etc)

--Install desired Application Software

--Enjoy

Best Regards

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for your quick response!! I purchased the XP pro full version cd a few? years back to for my old computer when I had to put a new hard drive in it. I have since purchased a laptop and dont have that computer anymore. But since I paid BIG BUCKS for XP Pro, I kept the CD...

I had forgotten to mention that I installed and updated AVG antivirus and spyware blaster. Ran antivirus and it came back clean. The computer has connected to the internet to aol only a few times since.

Perhaps the problem lies with that Mahjohng installation or AOL 9.1?? How do I find out which thing is causing the errors??? I dont know where to access error logs if there are any.

Thanks for your input!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Are you familiar with Event Viewer?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

You "may" be able to Boot into SAFE Mode and then navigate to Event Viewer (follow the steps in the MS KB article)

If that produces Error Code information that you are able to address and repair, good!
If you do find Error Code information, but need additional assistance, post back with your questions.

With "Application Software" often the first/best method of repair is to completely Uninstall and then Re-install the application (AOL and/or Mahjohng, or other applications)

You may still be better off with a complete format and re-installation of your OS.

Note:
Thanks for the clarification about your Windows XP Pro installation Media.
Since it was "Retail version" you have a lot more flexibility.
BUT, if your old computer which you no longer have, is still in-service and running XP Pro from that CD media installation, any "new use" of the CD media to install XP Pro would be considered "illegal" from Microsofts perspective.
To resolve the XP Pro "legitimacy" issue, you will do best to contact MS by phone, tell them your situation and ask for a new Product Identification Code. Contrary to popular lore, MS does frequently help in such situations.

Best Regards

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, so I had my bro take at look at the event viewer, and he found mega errors. (none between the time they left my house until yesterday evening) I dont think any of them were related to AOL or Mahjohng. I think the first one from yesterday when the computer started to go haywire was this:

Volume shadow copy service error

and then:

Com+ Event System detected bad return code

...and then it just mushroomed from there. Today's first two codes are:

DCOM got error &

System Start Drivers failed to load... afd, avg7core, avg7rsw, avg7rsxp, fips, ipsec etc etc. Perhaps these didn't load because it was in Safe Mode?

I would hate to have to do a fresh install of XP Pro, then I would lose all the programs already on the computer. It would suck to have a computer with nothing on it!! Is there a good chance that repairing XP would work? What do you think are my chances? I am making the trip this weekend to try to fix it! :)

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
PS... almost forgot, he checked system information and it definately says that it is running XP Pro! I almost could have SWORN on my mothers grave that it was Home edition, but what do I know???

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
The following is not easy stuff to deal with, but may be of use to you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

When you state that you will lose all the installed application software, are you meaning that you do not have installation CD's or sources to reinstall software?

I would hate to have to do a fresh install of XP Pro, then I would lose all the programs already on the computer. It would suck to have a computer with nothing on it!! Is there a good chance that repairing XP would work?

Repair installation is a highly reliable procedure.
Still it is advised to back-up any important documents, media, and files that may have been saved to the computer.

The Fred Langa method of Non-destructive Installation is well reviewed.
I have used it successfully on terribly scrambled machines with success.

Take your laptop with you, since you may want to have access to Internet resources during your repair work.

Best Regards

Edited by Doug, 15 November 2007 - 05:29 PM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Stating that Repair Install is highly reliable, is not the same as saying that it will work-for-sure in your situation.
I would give it a try, before a full Format and Reinstall.

You may also need to run Disk Error Checking.

Disk Error Checking can find and move any System Files that have been saved to bad-sectors on the hard drive.
When information or command script is saved to a bad-sector, it may not be easily retrievable or readable at all.
Disk Error Checking will identify such instances and attempt to read, move and save the information to a known-good sector.

All Hard Drives have bad-sectors. Even brand new hard drives have bad-sectors.
Windows takes account of this fact as it reads and attempts to write information to the hard drive.
Windows will "flag" such bad-sectors so that it will not attempt to write information there again.

Consider doing the following:

Start - Run - (type)cmd - Enter
This will bring up a DOS style box with blinking cursor,

At the blinking cursor, type:
chkdsk /f /r - Enter <--- notice the required space before the "/"s.

CHECKDISK will inform you that it cannot be run because files are in use/locked, etc. and will invite you to allow CHECKDISK to run the next time you reboot your machine.

Type "Y" for yes, and then reboot.

The scans will take about 30-40 minutes, after which your machine will complete its boot into Windows.
You may be good-to-go after the CHKDSK, if it finds any bad-clusters and moves files to known good areas of your hard drive. However, if CHKDSK does find bad-clusters and moves files, it may be necessary to run CHKDSK a 2nd and even 3rd time, until all the bad-clusters are found and all of the affected files are safely moved

It might be a good idea to ask your brother to complete the Error Checking (CHKDSK) procedure before you arrive. That way the machine will be ready for your follow-up work, if needed.

After CHKDSK has done it's work, if you are able then to boot Normally into Windows, you can Run System File Checker (SFC) instead of/ or prior to attempting Repair Installation.

Run your Windows File Protection System File Checker.

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - enter <-- notice the required space in front of "/"

This will open a progress panel for Windows Protected Files Manager and show the progress as your Operating System files are scanned for "missing or corrupted" files.

If SFC does identify missing or corrupted Operating System files, it may ask you to insert your Windows XP installation CD so a fresh copy of the correct file can be copied and pasted into the system files.

If you do not have your Windows XP installation CD, or if errors in the process occur, please post back with specifics or questions.

SFC scan and replacements take about 8-12 minutes depending upon the size of your file tree and the speed of your CPU/RAM.
If SFC opens, and then closes within a few seconds or under one minute..... It did not complete, and must be repeated.

Sometimes, a second scan run of SFC is necessary, even if SFC completes the first time, in order to replace all missing or corrupted files. If SFC completes, you can safely run it a second time for good measure.

If the above hasn't helped, then you are back to Repair installation or Full Format and Installation.

Best Regards

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

The following is not easy stuff to deal with, but may be of use to you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

Um, yeah, i think I'll pass on that! It looks like scary stuff! But thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt! :)

When you state that you will lose all the installed application software, are you meaning that you do not have installation CD's or sources to reinstall software?

Yes, exactly! I couldnt afford to buy Office, photoshop, printshop, etc etc... All these things have always come pre-installed for me!!

Well, I am going to try your suggestions! Wish me luck and I will keep you posted!!! tHANKS!

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi There again!! I am at my mom's and we have completed checkdisk. The computer has started normally and I am connrcted to the internet on her pc. Now I've run into a problem:

Now I am attempting to run system file chacker and come upon a snag. It said tha the files that are required to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. I am prompted to Insert your Windows XP Pro service pack 2 cd now. When I insert my Windows XP Pro SP 2 CD it says:

The cd you provided is the wrong cd.

It can't be the wrong cd because I mailed to Microsoft to get it straight from them!

What could be the problem??

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
There is a work-around for this situation. :)

It looks daunting. :)

It's actually quite straight-forward and effective. :)

It requires some reading and then specific attention as you follow the instructions.

Here ya go.
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Best Regards